OSCARS WITH TIGER BARBS??

GabeFred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2018
Could I keep a single Oscar with a school of 5 or so tiger barbs in a 75 gallon?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If similar size it’ll work out shortly. But will likely be a snack.

Reactions: Jexnell

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Oi mate, have you even read what we said? I had barbs with my senegal bichir. Bichirs are hella slow, but guess what? I found the barbs dying off one by one with my bichirs bite barks all over them. Considering oscars are a crap ton faster than bichirs, I'd say hell no to tiger barbs.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ive tried this exact combo in years past. Once the oscar reaches 8" all bets are off.

Ime, the biggest problem with tankmates that are "too fast" as ive heard it put is that the oscar or whatever other predatory fish will still chase it, often injuring or killing itself, or damaging aquarium equipment or even the tank itself. If youre giving feeders in a 75 gallon tank with a full grown oscar, its a matter of when, not if this will happen.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
My Oscar lived peacefully with my Roseline sharks, for about seven months.20171224_002721.jpg
Then one fine day out of the blue with no warning, she ate one. 20180103_082344.jpg

So like others have said, if it fits at some point in time the Oscar will try and eat it.
I switched to Silver Dollars and guess what, she tried to eat one of them as well. Only thing that saved it was it was too tall for her to swallow it...
Both of these fish can cover the distance end to end of a six foot tank with a single powered flap of thier tails. Yet the Oscar still managed to eat one and almost eat the other.
If you are dead set on it, try it but don't say we didn't warn you when you wake up one morning with missing Tiger Barbs and a giant grin on your O's face and a giant bulging belly.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I think the barbs would be too fast for the O my concern would be the barbs bum rushing the O and nipping his fins
I have heard of people who had tiger barbs mob and kill medium sized cichlids as a response to a predator. Not sure where, though.

Reactions: fishhead0103666
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store