Outgoing cichlids for a 23 gallon tank???

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
I just recently emptied my 23 gallon tank from any fish and I was wondering what cichlids I could get? I want one that would be outgoing and swimming around a lot and excited to see me for food. I was thinking convicts, but are those too shy?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Whether a fish is shy depends on a lot of factors. Each individual fish has a unique personality, just like humans, and two fish within the same species may behave totally different. After the fish's personality, the most important factor is probably how comfortable they feel in their tank. There are lots of different things you can do to make them feel comfortable, some good suggestions being having lots of décor (floating plants work wonders) and having some dither fish. Tall-bodied tetras will work well.
As far as the fish, the convict idea isn't a bad one but I think C. Nanoluteus would be better. They are more colorful, smaller convicts. You could easily have a breeding pair or maybe a trio in a 23 gallon. That size is large enough for a convict but a pair might be tough on the female in this size. Wet spot tropical fish has nanoluteus for sale as well.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
As far as Central American cichlids go, I agree with Gourami Swami, Amatitlania nanoluteus is the only one suitable for such a tiny tank.

There are plenty of South American dwarfs that would work too, such as those in the genera Dicrosus, Mikrogeophagus, or Teleocichla if your tap water is soft.

Boomer1224

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2017
I had a breeding pair of convicts in a 29 gal and man were they out going banged the glass everytime l looked in and attacked my hand when ever I cleaned their tank

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
Thank you, i got a pair of convicts and their great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store