Overstocking Agressive CA Cichlids

nicksteele7

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2017
Is this possible like with Africans? Was thinking of buying around 70 juveniles (species that are aggressive but stay around 12-14”), raising them together, selling off the most aggressive ones and hopefully ending up with a community of maybe 15-20 pcs for a 180 gallon. The idea would be to not give them enough room to establish territories, and to keep all males. There would obviously be excellent filtration and large water changes. Was thinking of species like RDs, festae, motaguense, etc. do you think this could work? Any suggestions on colorful aggressive species? Thanks - Nick

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
In my opinion, the fish would most likely not be very happy, move around much, or display any interesting behavior other than floating in place trying not to get killed. This works better with africans because they are generally smaller, and the way they fight is a bit different (quick strikes/chasing, opposed to CA cichlids who lip lock and often fight until death). A 180 with 15-20 12" cichlids is going to look like a can of sardines, and be a nightmare to maintain. If you want to do this type of setup, I'd really recommend you just keep africans.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
X2 ^ we have seen tanks stocked like this over the years in much larger aquariums even (500+) and all it takes is that one fish to deside he wants to be the boss, then all hell breaks loose.

A more practical stock for the 180 would be maybe a breeding pair of your favorite ca cichlids or even a small frontosa colony perhaps?

If a mean, brute CA cichlid community is what your set on though. I would stay within one genus. Like maybe just amphilophus. They tend to do the best in those types of tanks. But be prepared for chaos down the road.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Part of the reason people enjoy ca cichlids is there interesting behaviour and interaction with the owners, alot of the interaction comes from territorial aggression directed to you and to see some of there behavioural traits they need room. Stocking so heavily all you will end up with is a blood bath or little more than motionless floating rocks.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
A lot of people have this belief that overcrowding c/a cichlids is fine as long as Filtration and water changes are good and frequent.
Ask yourself, is it fair to house fish so crowded that they are deprived of all their natural instinctive behaviours? Your either cool with that or your not. Personally I would not be comfortable with it.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
If you are set on a "busy" and colorful aggressive CA 180 g. community tank, scale it down. Forget Red Devils / Red Terrors or Jaguars. Look more into Firemouths, Salvini,
Carpintis, maybe even EBJD or Rainbow Cichlids.
Figure out your favorite combination. These smaller CA' s are probably more of semi aggressive group, but are colorful with aggression levels that likely won't result in mass death. These fish don't require the relatively massive
open swimming areas that your initial wish list fish require.
A well planned hardscape is all these smaller CA' s need.
I'm not suggesting a Mbuna type stocking situation, but with the smaller CA's a larger, active population can be accomplished without overstocking.

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL
In my opinion, the fish would most likely not be very happy, move around much, or display any interesting behavior other than floating in place trying not to get killed. This works better with africans because they are generally smaller, and the way they fight is a bit different (quick strikes/chasing, opposed to CA cichlids who lip lock and often fight until death). A 180 with 15-20 12" cichlids is going to look like a can of sardines, and be a nightmare to maintain. If you want to do this type of setup, I'd really recommend you just keep africans.
So what's your advice when adding large aggressive cichlids such as a jag ? Tips and advice please

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store