Pickerel tank mate idea

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Guys, we need to consider that these Pickerel have a minimum size limit of 15 INCHES...... Assuming the fish can reach 15" but likely a fair amount larger w/ 15" as a minimum to legally harvest, I don't see how Stone cats aren't on the menu for them. Esox are highly predatory and swallowing a catfish can be fatal to countless species of animals in general. Let's not forget also, Esox grab their prey SIDEWAYS and mouth it for a bit before flipping it to swallow head-first......if that happens, the 1st thing that will happen to the Pickerel is a dorsal spine through the top of it's mouth, or worse HEAD.

Thoughts?

Also, I have spent 30+ years under the impression stonecats only grow 4-5" and it takes about 10 years for a Bullhead to reach a FOOT.....20" is a loooooong way away.

EDIT - wow, stupid common names....had no idea they could grow 12". The question is "are we talking about Noturus flavus or other Madtoms commonly all referred to as "Stonecat"???"

I missed a few things you said. in the home aquarium Redfin get max 14 but mostly stay between 7-10 inch. while grass picks are in the same ballpark they usually are 2-3 inches longer. lastly the chain pickerel is double the size usually obtaining lengths of 22-30 inch.
Also I've never kept bullhead. I'm a fisher so all my interactions with them are in the wild. So i have no knowledge of their growing habits in the home aquarium.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Here's a stone cat (noturus flavus) View attachment 1202787
yes, Stonecats and Madtoms are Noturus, Flatheads are Polydictus, and Bullheads are Ameiurus, so no relation other than "Catfish family", but when people say "Stonecats" around here, they really mean Madtoms because we don't HAVE the true Stonecatfish native to SE Coastal plain PA

My edit was referring the size difference between the true Stonecat, and the small 4" Madtoms we have locally,....again, I hate common English names for the sake of confusion.

And as far as I know ALL catfish have 3 venomous spines, 2 pectoral, and 1 dorsal

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Guys, we need to consider that these Pickerel have a minimum size limit of 15 INCHES...... Assuming the fish can reach 15" but likely a fair amount larger w/ 15" as a minimum to legally harvest, I don't see how Stone cats aren't on the menu for them. Esox are highly predatory and swallowing a catfish can be fatal to countless species of animals in general. Let's not forget also, Esox grab their prey SIDEWAYS and mouth it for a bit before flipping it to swallow head-first......if that happens, the 1st thing that will happen to the Pickerel is a dorsal spine through the top of it's mouth, or worse HEAD.

Thoughts?

Also, I have spent 30+ years under the impression stonecats only grow 4-5" and it takes about 10 years for a Bullhead to reach a FOOT.....20" is a loooooong way away.

EDIT - wow, stupid common names....had no idea they could grow 12". The question is "are we talking about Noturus flavus or other Madtoms commonly all referred to as "Stonecat"???"
if you find a redfin that gets above 10 I'd be impressed lol. My grass pickerel slowed to a crawl in growth at 12.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
yes, Stonecats and Madtoms are Noturus, Flatheads are Polydictus, and Bullheads are Ameiurus, so no relation other than "Catfish family", but when people say "Stonecats" around here, they really mean Madtoms because we don't HAVE the true Stonecatfish native to SE Coastal plain PA

My edit was referring the size difference between the true Stonecat, and the small 4" Madtoms we have locally,....again, I hate common English names for the sake of confusion.

And as far as I know ALL catfish have 3 venomous spines, 2 pectoral, and 1 dorsal
Ultimately pickerel, in my experience at least and I've kept both redfin and grass, do not have the typical esox aggression you see in pike or musky. They will slam small silvery fish but aside from that I've never seen my pickerel show even a hint of wanting to eat their catfish and sunfish tank mates. They were actually the best fish I've ever had, they used to eat from my hand and minded their own business while the sunfish and coosae bass punked eachother for real estate around the tank lol.

Reactions: Frank Castle

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Ultimately pickerel, in my experience at least and I've kept both redfin and grass, do not have the typical esox aggression you see in pike or musky. They will slam small silvery fish but aside from that I've never seen my pickerel show even a hint of wanting to eat their catfish and sunfish tank mates. They were actually the best fish I've ever had, they used to eat from my hand and minded their own business while the sunfish and coosae bass punked eachother for real estate around the tank lol.
Good to know. Yea they seem to be really chill. What age were your redfins when they stopped growing? I just roughly measured them as best I could. And they're just under 9 inch. I don't know they're exact age but they're give or take 8-12 months old. I think they can hit 11 inch full grown. Which I'm really exited for. I didn't expect them to be able to get that big! And yea as of now they're by themselves. So for now I might put in some smaller cats. Maybe in the future when I get a larger tank will get some more picks and add some sunfish.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Also what type of cats did you have in there?

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Anyone ever have a tank with pickerel and end up with fry? I can't remember the forum but I removed one guy ended up with fry on a couple different occasions from pickerel in a tank.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
If anyone is wanting one a guy has a pickerel on aquabid right now. He says they are chain but look more like Redfin to me. Says he has 6 from about 3 to 5 inches.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Good to know. Yea they seem to be really chill. What age were your redfins when they stopped growing? I just roughly measured them as best I could. And they're just under 9 inch. I don't know they're exact age but they're give or take 8-12 months old. I think they can hit 11 inch full grown. Which I'm really exited for. I didn't expect them to be able to get that big! And yea as of now they're by themselves. So for now I might put in some smaller cats. Maybe in the future when I get a larger tank will get some more picks and add some sunfish.
mine were about a year and a half old when the tank crashed while I wasn't home, they came in around 10 inches. I'm sure with absolutely pristine water and a great diet they'd hit 11-12 but also don't get too excited for that haha.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Also what type of cats did you have in there?
I never had tank mates with my redfin, but with my grass I had a 20" channel cat and a 9-10" bullhead.
Anyone ever have a tank with pickerel and end up with fry? I can't remember the forum but I removed one guy ended up with fry on a couple different occasions from pickerel in a tank.
Theres a guy who used to post on here, and has native videos on youtube that had grass pickerel spawn in a 125 for him.

Reactions: Texas321
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store