Pickerel tank mate idea

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Man that scares me! Mine won't even eat other live foods such as worms etc.. I have a separate tank for my minnows. I only put in what they eat rite away tho.
No kidding. Mine won't eat anything but live fish. But I to like you only put enough in for them to destroy then so they don't over feed.
pickerel are easy to break off live. Starve them for a week and they will begin hitting strips of tilapia or shrimp. Mine were wild caught, by me lol, and they broke off of live within 1.5 weeks.

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
haven't had any luck with mine yet but i'm raising guppies for him. he will hit anything i put in there with his feeding net but just spits it out. going on a week vacation soon so will try after that.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
pickerel are easy to break off live. Starve them for a week and they will begin hitting strips of tilapia or shrimp. Mine were wild caught, by me lol, and they broke off of live within 1.5 weeks.
Well I'm going outve town at the end of this month for a week so I'll try giving it a shot then.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
you got Pickerel to eat shrimp, huh? You ever wonder how FW fish know something is food that they have never seen or ate before in their life? I would have expected that to be tough, but I suppose shellfish in general may have a universal language fish can read....but still, I never caught a Channel cat on Crayfish and they will destroy shrimp in the wild. My CB Channel isn't a huge fan of shrimp or krill unless it's dried from a can

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
you got Pickerel to eat shrimp, huh? You ever wonder how FW fish know something is food that they have never seen or ate before in their life? I would have expected that to be tough, but I suppose shellfish in general may have a universal language fish can read....but still, I never caught a Channel cat on Crayfish and they will destroy shrimp in the wild. My CB Channel isn't a huge fan of shrimp or krill unless it's dried from a can
yup, my grass pickerel loved the little cocktail shrimp, the tiny ones you put on salads or whatever. My channel cat will eat anything meaty that hits the water...damn things a vacuum...

I do wonder how they know but at the same time I feel like its similar to a crayfish and they run into those in the wild so I imagine its not to far of a stretch from that lol.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
yup, my grass pickerel loved the little cocktail shrimp, the tiny ones you put on salads or whatever. My channel cat will eat anything meaty that hits the water...damn things a vacuum...

I do wonder how they know but at the same time I feel like its similar to a crayfish and they run into those in the wild so I imagine its not to far of a stretch from that lol.
My Channel cat is a vacuum too, but for some reason he doesn't get frenzied by frozen/thawed Shrimp and Krill....IDK why, but if I had to guess, it would be because albinos are generally more timid and finicky as I have heard for decades the albinos have very poor eyesight, and catfish eyesight is usually not great to begin with

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
My Channel cat is a vacuum too, but for some reason he doesn't get frenzied by frozen/thawed Shrimp and Krill....IDK why, but if I had to guess, it would be because albinos are generally more timid and finicky as I have heard for decades the albinos have very poor eyesight, and catfish eyesight is usually not great to begin with
mines an albino too lol. all I have to do is smack the water and he's alert and at the top lol, he eats out of my hand all the time, then just bulldozes the crappie and sunfish out of the way and steals all the other food lol. I've had to resort to putting half a tilapia fillet in the water so he has his mouth full for more than 5 seconds.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
mines an albino too lol. all I have to do is smack the water and he's alert and at the top lol, he eats out of my hand all the time, then just bulldozes the crappie and sunfish out of the way and steals all the other food lol. I've had to resort to putting half a tilapia fillet in the water so he has his mouth full for more than 5 seconds.
How big is yours atm? I think mine is about 10", which I think is slow since he was 3" in December/January when I got him. I remember my other normal Channel growing much faster than this and by 8-10 months later I had to give him a whole HANDFUL of pellets to himself .....something is amiss, I think. He should be at least 16-18" by now, IME

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store