Pickerel tank mate idea

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
mine were about a year and a half old when the tank crashed while I wasn't home, they came in around 10 inches. I'm sure with absolutely pristine water and a great diet they'd hit 11-12 but also don't get too excited for that haha.
Man that had to really piss you off. Did you just feed your fish live fish?

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
I never had tank mates with my redfin, but with my grass I had a 20" channel cat and a 9-10" bullhead.

Theres a guy who used to post on here, and has native videos on youtube that had grass pickerel spawn in a 125 for him.
I would be willing to bet it was the same guy. I saw the videos too but I want to say it was on NANFA. I might of seen it here though it was before I found this site so I can't quite remember. It would be really cool to have fry though. They all look so similar though can't tell make vs female.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Man that had to really piss you off. Did you just feed your fish live fish?
eh it more or less made me learn about the dangers of live lol. I left several fathead minnows in the tank to sustain them, one minnow died and created a fungal infection in the tank, killed both of my pickerels. never again with live.
I would be willing to bet it was the same guy. I saw the videos too but I want to say it was on NANFA. I might of seen it here though it was before I found this site so I can't quite remember. It would be really cool to have fry though. They all look so similar though can't tell make vs female.
ya hes on nanfa, this site, and I believe he made a north American fish keepers site as well, though theres no traffic on it.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Bowfin and pickerel are good tankmates in my experience. If the bowfin is female it will likely outgrow the pickerel but thatll take years and a big tank.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
eh it more or less made me learn about the dangers of live lol. I left several fathead minnows in the tank to sustain them, one minnow died and created a fungal infection in the tank, killed both of my pickerels. never again with live.

ya hes on nanfa, this site, and I believe he made a north American fish keepers site as well, though theres no traffic on it.

Man that scares me! Mine won't even eat other live foods such as worms etc.. I have a separate tank for my minnows. I only put in what they eat rite away tho.

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
I saw the aqua bid post they're not Redfin IMO
What do you think it is? Looks nothing like a chain pickerel although it might be in not sure. From everything I've read the redfins have the stripe down the middle and it goes away as they mature. Also that redfins don't all have the blood red find in certain parts of the country and others do. Also I thought chain pickerel were only in the north and north eastern part of the country. I could be wrong on everything just going by the research I've done on them.

Texas321

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2016
Man that scares me! Mine won't even eat other live foods such as worms etc.. I have a separate tank for my minnows. I only put in what they eat rite away tho.
No kidding. Mine won't eat anything but live fish. But I to like you only put enough in for them to destroy then so they don't over feed.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
What do you think it is? Looks nothing like a chain pickerel although it might be in not sure. From everything I've read the redfins have the stripe down the middle and it goes away as they mature. Also that redfins don't all have the blood red find in certain parts of the country and others do. Also I thought chain pickerel were only in the north and north eastern part of the country. I could be wrong on everything just going by the research I've done on them.[/QUOTE

Yea I know a lot of reds don't have red fins. I'm no expert on them. But Chain picks can look like that before they mature. Idk your guess is as good mine. Can't say forshure if it is.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
What do you think it is? Looks nothing like a chain pickerel although it might be in not sure. From everything I've read the redfins have the stripe down the middle and it goes away as they mature. Also that redfins don't all have the blood red find in certain parts of the country and others do. Also I thought chain pickerel were only in the north and north eastern part of the country. I could be wrong on everything just going by the research I've done on them.

I tried to look at the post again but I guess he sold em. Wasn't up there

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store