Pickerel tank mate idea

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
So I currently have my two Redfin Pickerel housed by themselves. I was planning on putting some stone cats (Noturus flavus) in there. They both stay about the same size and the RFP stay up top and the stone cats are bottom dwellers so i think it would work out fine. Just wanted some feedback on this. I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any issues. I was going to make sure there are plenty of structures i.e. Caves dens for the cats. I also wanted to know how many of them I should put in there. I was thinking 2 or 3 so they would have a small group. I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback thanks!

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
what size tank ? the problem will be keeping them all relatively the same size if one out grows another there going to try and eat each other.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
what size tank ? the problem will be keeping them all relatively the same size if one out grows another there going to try and eat each other.
ya....adult Pickerel can eat Stonecats.......don't want to put a baitfish in with a keystone predator like Esox....Bullheads would work much better or a single channel cat

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
ya....adult Pickerel can eat Stonecats.......don't want to put a baitfish in with a keystone predator like Esox....Bullheads would work much better or a single channel cat
oh lord no...stone cats over EITHER of the others...my bullheads are definitely big enough to swallow a redfin...and my channel cat could swallow my bullheads so...

redfin do not get large. At all. I had my grass pickerel in with my channel cat and at 12" give or take I was nervous for them.

I say go with the stone cats, redfins are push overs, they aren't aggressive and won't attack a catfish of similar size to them.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
My thoughts exactly. My redfins are pushing 8 inches they're still young but tops I'd say they would grow to 10 inch. And stone cats get about the same size. Yea bullheads can get 20 inch and channels get double that. No way I'd put those in.

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
I had a grass pickerel before and they don't mess with anything or at least the 2 I had didn't. Had fish half there size in with them and they didn't got after them. Put a fish they think they can fit in there mouth and well yea it goes after it like a fat kid going for a chocolate fudge cake with sprinkles on top lol. I really don't see an issue with stone catfish if they are about the same size.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
oh lord no...stone cats over EITHER of the others...my bullheads are definitely big enough to swallow a redfin...and my channel cat could swallow my bullheads so...

redfin do not get large. At all. I had my grass pickerel in with my channel cat and at 12" give or take I was nervous for them.

I say go with the stone cats, redfins are push overs, they aren't aggressive and won't attack a catfish of similar size to them.
My thoughts exactly. My redfins are pushing 8 inches they're still young but tops I'd say they would grow to 10 inch. And stone cats get about the same size. Yea bullheads can get 20 inch and channels get double that. No way I'd put those in.
I had a grass pickerel before and they don't mess with anything or at least the 2 I had didn't. Had fish half there size in with them and they didn't got after them. Put a fish they think they can fit in there mouth and well yea it goes after it like a fat kid going for a chocolate fudge cake with sprinkles on top lol. I really don't see an issue with stone catfish if they are about the same size.
Guys, we need to consider that these Pickerel have a minimum size limit of 15 INCHES...... Assuming the fish can reach 15" but likely a fair amount larger w/ 15" as a minimum to legally harvest, I don't see how Stone cats aren't on the menu for them. Esox are highly predatory and swallowing a catfish can be fatal to countless species of animals in general. Let's not forget also, Esox grab their prey SIDEWAYS and mouth it for a bit before flipping it to swallow head-first......if that happens, the 1st thing that will happen to the Pickerel is a dorsal spine through the top of it's mouth, or worse HEAD.

Thoughts?

Also, I have spent 30+ years under the impression stonecats only grow 4-5" and it takes about 10 years for a Bullhead to reach a FOOT.....20" is a loooooong way away.

EDIT - wow, stupid common names....had no idea they could grow 12". The question is "are we talking about Noturus flavus or other Madtoms commonly all referred to as "Stonecat"???"

Last edited:

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Redfin/grass pickerel rarely past a 12" mark so it's unlikely that they will make a meal out of a full sized stonecat. That said stonecat do get bigger and 10+" stonecats ain't uncommon in some areas. But a bullhead won't have any issues with eating a redfin/grass pickerel in a gulp.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Guys, we need to consider that these Pickerel have a minimum size limit of 15 INCHES...... Assuming the fish can reach 15" but likely a fair amount larger w/ 15" as a minimum to legally harvest, I don't see how Stone cats aren't on the menu for them. Esox are highly predatory and swallowing a catfish can be fatal to countless species of animals in general. Let's not forget also, Esox grab their prey SIDEWAYS and mouth it for a bit before flipping it to swallow head-first......if that happens, the 1st thing that will happen to the Pickerel is a dorsal spine through the top of it's mouth, or worse HEAD.

Thoughts?

Also, I have spent 30+ years under the impression stonecats only grow 4-5" and it takes about 10 years for a Bullhead to reach a FOOT.....20" is a loooooong way away.

EDIT - wow, stupid common names....had no idea they could grow 12". The question is "are we talking about Noturus flavus or other Madtoms commonly all referred to as "Stonecat"???"

Lol sorry couldn't really understand what your edits are. But my Redfin will most likely not go past 10 inch and stone cats are noturus flavus. They can reach 12 inch. And yes madtom species max around 5 inch. Stone cats in layman's terms are smaller bullheads/flatheads I guess. While I'm not positive in pretty sure they don't have dorsal spines like madtoms. But you make a good point it might not be worth the risk. It's not that I wouldn't care about the cats but I care a lot more about my picks so I wouldn't want there to be any chance at all they could be hurt.

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store