Platinum Attempt

Dempski D.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Seattle
Ah I see. Hopefully you will have viable fry from such a mix. A lot of recessive genes will limit survival rates of the offspring for sure.
I'm doing a survival of the fittest technique with my less desirable "blue genes" Leaving the fry with parents and in a stocked tank...down to about 25 fry with my first pair and I still can't tell what they are. I know they are not golds but it is unclear if I have any electric blues yet. I still need to confirm my fish are, in fact, blue gene.

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
That's why I have the grow outs. The only way I can know for sure what genes the fish have is to start with the parents. The blues grow incredibly slow so this may take some time.

You're right about the weak genetics based around the recessive genes. As that has been increased due to inbreeding I plan on using unrelated fish.

Gold breed from my tank with blue bought from a semi local fish store and the platinums come from a breeder in Florida. He breeds predominantly jack dempseys. It would be really interesting to see how he got to where he is now where he sells them through aqua bid.

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
I will probably let them stay with the parents. That should slow them down from breeding for a minute and let me see if the parents can manage to raise the fry. This pair however tends to eat the fry once they get to free swimming so it would I guess that would amount to a cull.

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
Hopefully you have some blues. I'm actually not excepting much out of these two batches as I have to travel out of state all week and my girlfriend is less than excited about feeding the fry. I have brine shrimp going that should last all week but we will see. The gold fry are getting much larger and have just about gotten to the same size as the blues in the grow out tank.

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
This guy is larger than three of the four blues now. I think he's also started to pick on the weaker juveniles as I see about three with damaged/ almost missing tale fins.

IMG_3400.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store