Pleco diet question & food safety

NilusFishFamily

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2018
Diet question & could it introduce parasites?

our pleco shares the tank with a goldfish, 125g freshwater. It’s planted but not w/anything they like to eat.

right now we do flakes AM for the goldfish
veg wafers & shrimp Pellets PM for the pleco (Goldie steals them)
Fruit or veg 1-2x per week apples, broccoli, zucchini, strawberries, watermelon, skinned peas

watermelon, strawberries and broccoli are the favorites. What crustaceans could we add?

Read somewhere that even boiled chicken and beef could be added?

Pic is mid water change. We are treating for Ich. Could Ich have come from any of the food? We rinse food well before serving and blanch the vegetables
No changes or additions to the tank since setup in November.

E1928EBF-0A74-4788-AC85-E52BDD0CB505.jpeg

DarkOne

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
NJ
I would ease up on the fruit. The sugars aren't good for plecos from what I've read though once in a while is ok. I have a pleco tank with 20 plecos and I only give them fresh zucchini and canned string beans (unsalted). I give them Ken's growth granules (high protein and fat) daily with Hikari algae wafers at night. You could give them cooked shrimp if you have carnivorous plecos.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would ease up on the fruit. The sugars aren't good for plecos from what I've read though once in a while is ok. I have a pleco tank with 20 plecos and I only give them fresh zucchini and canned string beans (unsalted). I give them Ken's growth granules (high protein and fat) daily with Hikari algae wafers at night. You could give them cooked shrimp if you have carnivorous plecos.
Uncooked shrimp.

Reactions: Rob909
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store