Premium 24k golden head Arowana 8 inches not eating

Gaurav_Anjarlekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
They were eating several brands of pellets on a rotating basis already (Sianlon, Hikari Foodstick and Ocean Free AR-G2), so that's really not the issue (and one them is still eating pellets, but he gets 'full' of them faster than before and stops after about 8 or 9 pellets; he didn't use to stop until I stopped giving).

Gaurav Aros won't eat flake food, Akeno071 was just referring to his fish and the fact that changing brands (either pellets or flakes) can possibly help in similar situations.

I also wouldn't recommend chicken heart, beef heart or anything crazy like boiled eggs. Your Aro will do fine on pellets, shrimp, fish or similar. Yes insects are great, and some people go full-on with crickets, super worm and even centipedes, but if you start them on this stuff they'll likely never eat pellets. Just keep it simple is my recommendation; your first goal should be to create a good environment that your fish feels comfortable in, then it will assuredly eat better.
Thank u for the update.
My Crossback Golden Aro I bought it on 18 Sept and on 19th he ate 3 shrimps and hikari sticks too and then the same night he jumped a damaged his tail due and vomited all the food back due the pain in his tail, however, now same is rectified with proper medication where i didn't feed him for 3 days. It was told to us to keep some dim light im the Aro's room as darkness made him jump.
Yesterday I changed the water more than 50%. Its 8 days now he is not eating anything and today he started eating only blood worms which we give it to our Goldfishs.
He is swimming nicely and looks healthy.

Please help and suggest how to make him shrimps/prawans and other food.

Last edited:

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
If hes eating thats good. Just be patient.

Reactions: Red Cichlids

Gaurav_Anjarlekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
My Crossback Golden Aro jumped and there is a small bruise on his tail....he is eating shrimps/prawnz and bloodworms.
But do I need to put any medicine for his tail.
My tank is 4ft x 2 ft x 2ft BUYO brand
Aro size is 8-9 inches
Heater is set on 30°C

Please suggest...

Thanks in advance......

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
My Crossback Golden Aro jumped and there is a small bruise on his tail....he is eating shrimps/prawnz and bloodworms.
But do I need to put any medicine for his tail.
My tank is 4ft x 2 ft x 2ft BUYO brand
Aro size is 8-9 inches
Heater is set on 30°C

Please suggest...

Thanks in advance......
NO just leave it alone, when you try to do too much for it you stress it out more. Aros will get bruises,cuts,scrapes it normal young aro are more jumpy just relax. Good to hear your aro is eating.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
NO just leave it alone, when you try to do too much for it you stress it out more. Aros will get bruises,cuts,scrapes it normal young aro are more jumpy just relax. Good to hear your aro is eating.
+1, it's pretty much part of Arowana ownership Gaurav -- was soon going to post a new thread about my (normally quite calm) Blue Base Xback jumping and injuring herself yesterday. Keep their water clean and try not to stress them further as Rotaryp04s says and they should heal up fine.

Gaurav_Anjarlekar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2019
How to make my Crossback Golden Arowana to eat Hikari sticks....he eats everything else but spits out these Hikari sticks ..
Please suggest

AroDyn@m1c

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2019
I starved my 12” aro for 18 days when I went on vacation I came back and it took pellets right away. I don’t recommend doing this in OP situations. I have away converted aros over to pellets at a young age the smaller the easier to train.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I starved my 12” aro for 18 days when I went on vacation I came back and it took pellets right away. I don’t recommend doing this in OP situations. I have away converted aros over to pellets at a young age the smaller the easier to train.
Much agreed, the younger you start them the easier it will be to get them on pellets. That said, there's no guarantee they'll actually stay on pellets -- after about 9 months of eating pellets since I got them, both of my Aros seem to be getting tired of them (even though they get even more shrimp and fish every feeding) and are eating less and less pellets. It's quite frustrating how whimsical these fish can be in their eating habits.

And yes starvation can work with some Aros, but certainly not with all -- they can go over a month without food; most owners cannot hold out that long lol. Also there's the issue that a young Aro needs a lot of calories for growth -- starving it will of course slow its growth (and some would say possibly lead to PLJ, proturuding lower jaw issues).

Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store