River Rocks in the aquarium

swomley93

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2015
I was wondering if it was safe ( after bleaching and or cleaning, and the vinegar test ) to put rocks from the stream in your aquarium. I have done some research and everyone i have seen has mostly said yes. And if so and there is built in green algae stuck on there will it continue to grow and spread? Or after the bleaching it will be non active any advice would be greatly appreciated.

125 gallon
Native tank

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I imagine the rocks can be cleaned well enough. One thing comes to mind. There was a post some time back where a keeper described the unfortunate event resulting from stacking rocks in a tank. It seems the rocks were nudged by fish and fell to the bottom of the glass tank. Broke out the bottom glass. Might not be much of an issue in acrylic. I suppose an acrllic sheet could be placed on the bottom of a glass tank to act as a cushion.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
One way to get rid of any bad Bactria/algae is to boil the rocks. Simple and easy.
Hit the nail on the head........Bleach, Boil or white vinegar.

Nothing else will kill everything. For those of you who don't use one of these 3 methods, you're living dangerously.

Oddball Oddball - you should Sticky/Pinned this thread you made so we don't get more threads like this

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/ask-first-its-that-simple.672848/

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
This is what I do: soak the rocks in heavily bleached water for 24hrs; rinse well; resoak rocks in water with plenty of dechlorinator for 24hrs; rinse well again

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
I have always used river work in every tank i set up..best looking rock and smoothest rock you will find.

I normally do this

- I get the river work (doesnt matter where you get them from)
- put in the bucket or container
- boiled hot water and pour the hot water into the rock
- check if the hot water when it get down to "warm" water
- drain out the 1st water you put in
- boiled another hot water and pour it in
- let it sit over night, and pour out the 2nd set of water. at this time water should be cold
- rinse it good again with tape water or water from your aquarium

IMPORTANT!!! never put rock right on the bottom of the tank on the glass.

I normally used dark sand on the bottom, and white/tank river rock on top make it look natural

Reactions: Dee eng
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store