MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Great shots!
How big is it?

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Beautiful. I like the top photo especially.

Do you have other photos of same fish and would you allow- sell private reproduction/printing (non-commercial use)? I've got a home office and I'd like to hang 3 different photos of same fish. Please message me privately if willing. I'd probably touch up background and cropping myself. And I'd like a few photos to choose best three from.

Also for those tricky wide depth of field situations, if you keep the fish eyes in sharp focus, the whole fish is considered in focus.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Reactions: Deadeye

Kaymac13

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2021
New Hampshire
Beautiful. I like the top photo especially.

Do you have other photos of same fish and would you allow- sell private reproduction/printing (non-commercial use)? I've got a home office and I'd like to hang 3 different photos of same fish. Please message me privately if willing. I'd probably touch up background and cropping myself. And I'd like a few photos to choose best three from.

Also for those tricky wide depth of field situations, if you keep the fish eyes in sharp focus, the whole fish is considered in focus.
I really love the photography advice because I’ve realized photographing fish is an extreme sport with finding the right settings then once you find a good combo, the fish change and I’m back to adjusting my camera! I will definitely try that and update you!

i have a plethora of photos of her and my other red tails and that’s something I’d be willing to negotiate. The top photo is actually the background on my debit card? I tried to DM you but I got an error message. Feel free to reach out to me and we can talk!

Reactions: Deadeye

Kaymac13

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2021
New Hampshire
How do you determine the gender?
Determining gender with Red Tails from what i know is damn near impossible. The most obvious feature when sexing is that females usually have more girth and tend to be rounder than males. Females are darker in color with a darker belly. Males are lighter in color on their heads so their spots on their head and body or, “freckles” as I call them and usually have a lighter more grey/splotchy belly and are more slim. If you find any other methods let me know!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IMHumbE, we allege that the females

[1] grow faster and bigger than males

[2] in profile / side view, the line from anterior base of dorsal to the tip of the upper jaw is far more straight than in the males, in which the line is rounder

[3] their heads are wider and flatter than in the males.

Per our RTC thread: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...sh-at-fish-story-aquariuma-and-rescue.699790/

I am curious what your analysis of your RTCs would show in the light of my proposed sexing technique.

I agree with the general girth remark. I've never heard of the coloration remarks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store