Serrasalmus with Red Bellied Piranhas???

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Sorry for your hard lesson....

Reactions: Sevastopol

Deputydirty

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2019
London, Ontario
I currently have 2 serraslmus, 4 pygos, an Oscar, wolf fish, dovii, and red devil in the same grow out tank. There is tolerance and respect so far, lol.
What type of serras do you have in with the shoal? Has there been any problems with them ie; parasitic fin nipping? My maculatus is in with my red bellies and he prefers eating fins to anything else including feeders... I really don't wanna remove him any ideas on how to curb this behavior?

godfirst

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 24, 2019
USA
What type of serras do you have in with the shoal? Has there been any problems with them ie; parasitic fin nipping? My maculatus is in with my red bellies and he prefers eating fins to anything else including feeders... I really don't wanna remove him any ideas on how to curb this behavior?
Well my smallest serras (3.5 inch) got into it pretty bad with a red or caribe and yesterday. While hiding my dovii scared him out of a corner and as he swimmed across the middle he was attacked and eaten by my 2 reds, 2 caribe, and my larger serras. Fin nipping is going to happen, but I would suggest feeding some fresh tilapia vs feeders. See if that helps.

Deputydirty

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2019
London, Ontario
Well my smallest serras (3.5 inch) got into it pretty bad with a red or caribe and yesterday. While hiding my dovii scared him out of a corner and as he swimmed across the middle he was attacked and eaten by my 2 reds, 2 caribe, and my larger serras. Fin nipping is going to happen, but I would suggest feeding some fresh tilapia vs feeders. See if that helps.
Okay thank you , I will try that. What type of serras do you have in there?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store