Solid red spots in fin?

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Hey everyone just got another question and I'm worrying about one of my fish I just moved so I had to move all of my fish but I also upgraded to a 120 gallon which is awesome, I can add some pictures if you'd like.. Tanks been up for about two weeks now I have been using safe start I transferred all my driftwood wet and transferred my canister onto the tank as well so I wouldn't think it's ammonia and my ammonia test kit come up as under .05 ppm. But anyways the bichir he seems more active and happy than ever before and he's eating more foods than ever before but now he's got a red streaked tail could it be ammonia and my test kits wrong or a desease that needs treating? OR should I just let him settle in and let clean water treat him up it could have been quite the stressful move

image.jpeg

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
I'm assuming that it's because of the ammoni present in the tank but the rest of the fish seems fine I added the days Dose of stability and prime to detoxify any present ammonia, should I also do a water change tommorow?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If your using safestart you need to wait 24hrs to dose with it after using a dechlorinator. I forgot if stability was the same. Either way biowise you should be fine since you moved your existing (already established) filters to the new tank. I doubt you even have a reading if so that low isnt a big deal just keep up with wc's. Did you add new fish after the move ? If so could be the bio having to catch up to the new load

I remember a thread a few weeks ago where someone moved there polys around and the op thought that the stress of the move had something to do with septicimia (spelling ?)

Wait for some of the more experienced keepers to chime in on that.

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Yeah there are 4 new fish lol and a much larger volume of water so that might be it and seachem states u can use both in unison on their forum, I got a ghost knife a Lima shovel a hujeta gar and a small rainbow who was my test fish lol, really neat stocking I hope they all do as well in their new home as they did in their old one. I also have a fire eel 3 gourami and a flounder pleco with the previously stated polys thankfully their all small right now imma need a 400 gallon one day with this damn obsession lol

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
It looks like your using the API test kit. Those are notorious for showing ammonia when there may not be any present. If nothing seems to be harming him, I would just put a treatment of aquarium salt in your tank. If you wanted to, you could dose with some some sort of bacterial medication as well, just to be safe. I would definitely put some salt in and watch him over the next couple days. Specifically the tail.

Reactions: tlindsey

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Okay will grab some today and the kanaplex stuff is pretty good for antibacterial right? Or do I have that mixed up my something I know they're pretty hardy and just having clean water and proper care is usually enough but I worry!

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
Yeah that looks like it should work.
hey thanks everyone i believe maybe they just appeared i bought the salt and kynaplex but held out from using it until i saw any progression but it went away fully, now what worries me is my fire eel is pale as can be could he be changing his color to adapt to his off white/gray hide i had put in for him?? he is usually so black i cant see any yellow and hardly any red besides the real bold red lines ill upload a picture or two of a before and after, the other day i turned on the lights and both bichirs were real pale too but adjusted within the hour?? any suggestions subdue the lighting possibly??

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
thats the difference between one day and the next obviously one is a different tank but the dark black and red is his usual color? i wouldn't think he is ill he will much on as much food as i am willing to feed him and he darts around the tank very quickly im sure its nothing detrimental but i would like him to be as colorful as possible

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store