Special Haitiensis diet questions/requirements?

polomax24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2005
Los Angeles
Key words: Stress free environment!
It has nothing to do with diet!

I feed mine massivore! I never had any problems with them. But if they get stressed out, they will bloat up like a balloon.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
polomax-not necessarily true-when I had my haitians they were top of the pecking order the water was perfect and after I fed them beefheart died within the next few days.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Now that I think about your statement-"it's not about diet" you are so wrong-Take African Cichlids for example if fed the wrong foods are prone to Malawi Bloat-if I fed my Red Devil feeders only I am sure it would have health problems. Heck I love hot dogs but just eating hot dogs everyday is not healthy.
A lot of people speak out of personal experience which is good-but a lot of times isn't the norm of the fish-just cause your fish can eat all types of meaty foods does not mean it is plausible to suggest that to someone who is interested in taking care of these fish.

polomax24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2005
Los Angeles
shamrock;2567576; said:
Now that I think about your statement-"it's not about diet" you are so wrong-Take African Cichlids for example if fed the wrong foods are prone to Malawi Bloat-if I fed my Red Devil feeders only I am sure it would have health problems. Heck I love hot dogs but just eating hot dogs everyday is not healthy.
A lot of people speak out of personal experience which is good-but a lot of times isn't the norm of the fish-just cause your fish can eat all types of meaty foods does not mean it is plausible to suggest that to someone who is interested in taking care of these fish.
Malawi bloat is mainly due to diet becasue you not supposed to feed your veggie based fish with high protein food. It is very different from bloat for haitiensis because bloat is mainly stress related . Also, when did I ever suggest anyone to feed their fish feeders?

I have rasied hundreds of Odos. Like many others, I had lost my share of odos to bloat. But it was never due to diet. That is my personal experience.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Your putting words in my mouth-never stated you said to use feeders-simply trying to make a point-read my post again-how do you know the odos you lost were not due to diet-doesn't make a lot of sense-think about what you are stating.
"It has nothing to do with diet yet I have lost hundredes of Odos" LOL!!

polomax24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2005
Los Angeles
shamrock;2567640; said:
Your putting words in my mouth-never stated you said to use feeders-simply trying to make a point-read my post again-how do you know the odos you lost were not due to diet-doesn't make a lot of sense-think about what you are stating.
"It has nothing to do with diet yet I have lost hundredes of Odos" LOL!!
I lost mine due to heater malfunction and moving. Do a search on aquamojo and cichlidmadness. I think there are similar debates on this topic.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Remains to be seen-I guess-but talking to people who have them, researching, and my own exp. I still "think" it has a lot to do with diet-not just this paticular fish but any fish for that matter-oh well-what do I know-LOL!

capefeartarheel

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
LMU Lab
from bigguapote (Jeff Rapps) on aquamojo:

http://forum.aquamojo.com/index.php?showtopic=2704&pid=402&mode=threaded&start=#entry402

Please refrain from gorging this species on high protein foods. They cannot digest it all. The usual result is bloating, long white/stringy feces, and then you know.... :'(
I raise them, thousands of them, by feeding them largely spirulina flake with supplemental feedings of various other foods including aquaculture grade channel catfish crumbles.
As they grow, you can include frozen bloodworms, shrimp, etc. in their diet. It is beneficial to keep up the variety of foods for them, but NEVER feed these foods in excess. Just SUPPLEMENTAL feedings of high protein foods like those listed above offered a couple times a week is best.
Hope this helps others enjoy raising these awesome cichlids.

Spirulina flake from JehmCo is excellent - it's pure spirulina.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
And it's not just diet that screws with your haitiensis. I'm about to toss all of these Visitherm stealth heaters out. They keep shutting off even when completely submerged. I know it's a feature for when they are out of water, but this is ridiculous. Because of this type of heater shutting off, all of my haitiensis are covered in ich!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store