Special Haitiensis diet questions/requirements?

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Sorry to go against the grain but I'm going with Polomax on the low/no stress factor.

Another member's advice I would take as gold would be Ruck Fules, I wonder what he has to say about all this.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
i have a pair of odo male about 7 inches very beefy fish with long flowing fins and a female about 5 inches shes a very nice fish to just doesent have the fins like the male. i lost 2 other groups of odo all due to aggression kept these 2 seperated and got lucky they were male and female got about 82 fry off of them now i sold a couple batches before this one use most of them for feeders for my sleeper gobys both odos are pigs i feed frozen bloodworms live black worms live brine shimp guppies out of my daughters guppy tank cichlid flakes and every once in a while some regular tropical fish flakes but they will not attemt to eat a fish larger than guppys and i also feed most my other fish chopped tilapia and they wont touch it. and they are both very aggressive. very fiesty and interactive with each other too

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
I've been growing up a tiny odo for the last 2 months from .5-2" and it's been very healthy eating high protein foods. I feed a lot of different stuff but it gets kens crumbles which are 55% protein on a nightly basis. Never had problems digesting.

One of the things I've learned about this forum is that there are people who know what they are talking about and there are people who don't. From all the advice I've taken in from all the cichlid forums I can say that polomax, chc, and darthodo are people who know what they're talking about. They aren't the only ones on here just some of the people who posted in this thread. Theres a lot of other people who just give advice to give advice. You can't trust everything you read online or even in a book. I prefer the advice from people with personal experience.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Camphilophus-Wow! Guess I know nothing! LOL! Wow! Amazing! Maybe I don't post tons of pictures on a billion web sites-but I can safely say that I have been there and done that-maybe not to the point of the above mention-but I would think that I know what I am talking about-oh well I am a cichlid screw up I guess-LOL!

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
The thing that is funny is that a lot of you are stating that diet has nothing to do with it-so if I eat hot dogs everyday I'll be healthy-if I feed my baby dovii just feeders they will have no health problems-if I feed my Husky turkey gizzards all the time he will live a long life as long as I don't stress them out-I don't know doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Oh we'll no matter-God Bless and have a cool holiday all!

HerCrenVie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2007
Singapore
shamrock;2569986; said:
The thing that is funny is that a lot of you are stating that diet has nothing to do with it-so if I eat hot dogs everyday I'll be healthy-if I feed my baby dovii just feeders they will have no health problems-if I feed my Husky turkey gizzards all the time he will live a long life as long as I don't stress them out-I don't know doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Oh we'll no matter-God Bless and have a cool holiday all!
Who said diet wasn't important? I think what people have been saying is, the lack of veg isn't a major factor behind bloat, because Haitiensis are definitely not herbivores per se.

shamrock;2569979; said:
Camphilophus-Wow! Guess I know nothing! LOL! Wow! Amazing! Maybe I don't post tons of pictures on a billion web sites-but I can safely say that I have been there and done that-maybe not to the point of the above mention-but I would think that I know what I am talking about-oh well I am a cichlid screw up I guess-LOL!
What makes you think Camphilophus referred to you?

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
No I don't think Camp. referred to me-but it is funny how others opinions have more clout is all-but if you read a lot of the statements (maybe I am reading it wrong or my reading comprehension is bad-shame on you UTEP!) it appears that many are stating it has nothing to do with what you feed your fish.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
shamrock;2569986; said:
Cam was just stating a few members he trusts, he didn't say you don't know what your talking about. You're doing that on your own. You don't make much of a case for yourself when you compare a humans diet or your Husky's stress to a Haitien cichlid. It definitely makes you sound like you don't have a clue. These guys are feeding high quality fish foods that have a higher level of protein to their fish. It's nothing like you eating hot dogs everyday or stressing your dog.

HerCrenVie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2007
Singapore
shamrock;2570018; said:
No I don't think Camp. referred to me-but it is funny how others opinions have more clout is all-but if you read a lot of the statements (maybe I am reading it wrong or my reading comprehension is bad-shame on you UTEP!) it appears that many are stating it has nothing to do with what you feed your fish.
Polomax said "it has nothing to do with diet". He meant that diet had nothing to do with causing bloat, and not that diet is not a factor behind the health of a fish. And he added that he used Massivore pellets, which are high in protein as well as various other important nutrients that may be found in plant matter. (therefore creating a balanced diet for the fish)

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
shamrock;2570018; said:
No I don't think Camp. referred to me-but it is funny how others opinions have more clout is all
How can you expect to come onto a forum where nobody knows anything about you and immediately have as much clout as long time well respected members?

shamrock said:
oh well I am a cichlid screw up I guess
It's starting to seem that way. Having a bad attitude isn't a good way to win people over.

I have an idea. Lets start over and act like you never compared a human eating hotdogs everyday to a cichlid eating high quality pellets everyday. From here on out, we'll have a clean slate. Win us over with your results, not your words.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store