Stocking 220 gal

Tropical_fish_plecos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2016
So today's the day. Buying a 220 gallon today. What rays are typically pleco safe? My LFS carries BD and marble, those typically pleco safe? Also, if I want to get rays in 6 x 2 x 2.5 what should I use on bottom? Sand? How much driftwood is good? Anybody has any tanks that have rays in 220 gal or plecos in it, send picture in this thread so I can see an idea. Looking to add gars, catfish, black aro and possibly some puffers and other oddballs along with rays and plecos. Can't wait :)

Last edited:

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
So today's the day. Buying a 220 gallon today. What rays are typically pleco safe? My LFS carries BD and marble, those typically pleco safe? Also, if I want to get rays in 6 x 2 x 2.5 what should I use on bottom? Sand? How much driftwood is good? Anybody has any tanks that have rays in 220 gal or plecos in it, send picture in this thread so I can see an idea. Looking to add gars, catfish, black aro and possibly some puffers and other oddballs along with rays and plecos. Can't wait :)
Most rays will outgrow a 220, #1for marbles and black diamond you're better off with 6' x 3', #2, I believe plecos are a hit or miss as they suck the slime coat off rays, #3 I'm not too sure on black aros, but they'll outgrow the tank?

So if you're getting 6' x 2', and are set on rays, try hystrix rays

Reactions: GamerChick5567

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Don't worry about the initial rudeness, at least you're doing your research before stocking the tank. That being said I believe even a 220 is too small for most species of rays, and the ones that will live comfortably in there are sensitive to water quality. Definitely too small for an Arowana too. It could make a bad ass cichlid tank.

Tropical_fish_plecos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2016
Don't worry about the initial rudeness, at least you're doing your research before stocking the tank. That being said I believe even a 220 is too small for most species of rays, and the ones that will live comfortably in there are sensitive to water quality. Definitely too small for an Arowana too. It could make a bad ass cichlid tank.
Good idea. I'm going to talk to my LFS owner today. Hope it works out. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store