Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
Alright, so i have two oscars, one common pleco, and one sun catfish (all fish under 3") in a 10 gallon tank. Dont worry, i will upgrade to a bigger tank, theyre just in the 10 gallon while i reseal.

i have bright green algea growing on the sides of the tank. i wipe it off, but it's back full strength two days later. i thought the pleco would help clean the glass, but it likes to stay near the filter intake tube. doesnt move anywhere else that much.

my water parameters are normal. i just cant seem to get rid of the green algea. what can i do to keep it away?

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
What do you consider normal water parameters? If you are having an algal bloom it could be nutrients or light. The lights could be too bright, or the photo period to long, or there are to many nutrients in the water. What lights do you have and how long are they on?

Reactions: Toiletcar

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
i have bright green algea growing on the sides of the tank. i wipe it off,
hello; Does the algae form sheets? And when u wipe them off does it come off fairly easy also in sheets? Does some of the algae also break up into little rod like bits that float all around the tank?

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
hello; Does the algae form sheets? And when u wipe them off does it come off fairly easy also in sheets? Does some of the algae also break up into little rod like bits that float all around the tank?
the algae are forming in little small circle that when enough of it accumulates, it forms a screen. the algae at the bottom of the tank come off easily, but the algae in the middle of the tank require a lot of elbow grease.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
What do you consider normal water parameters? If you are having an algal bloom it could be nutrients or light. The lights could be too bright, or the photo period to long, or there are to many nutrients in the water. What lights do you have and how long are they on?
normal parameters: ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate under 40.
I have a LED light that I turn on in the morning around 7:00, and turn off sometime 10-12 at night.

Zak03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2018
Salem, Oregon. USA
How often do you change the water, how much do you change? How long are lights on, what kind of lights are they, does tank get any sunlight?
Keep cleaning it off, keep lights off, keep nutrients low, is your best bet.
i do water changes once every 5-6 days, and i have led lights for the lighting, and the tank doesnt get any sunlight

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
have a LED light that I turn on in the morning around 7:00, and turn off sometime 10-12 at night
Hello; My first suggestion is to shorten the lit period. You are at 17 hours some days. If you have live plants then try about 12 hours. If no live plants then go even shorter.
I also suggest a light timer.

Reactions: Matteus

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Hello; My first suggestion is to shorten the lit period. You are at 17 hours some days. If you have live plants then try about 12 hours. If no live plants then go even shorter.
I also suggest a light timer.
Agreed - Way too long of a light period.
Lights should go out not long after sundown. Probably about 6:00-7:00pm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store