Tank Mates for Gibbiceps?

SeaAngler2008

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2019
Tank Mates Question. Ready to upgrade and want to know what may be best to add.

Currently: I have a 40 gal/ the upgrade likely to 90 gal. Gibbiceps is 5 or 6 years old. He is in a freshwater tank and is almost 14 inches long. Artificial plants.

As of 2 days ago, I have two more fish- I was told both are feeder fish. Both of the little fish were saved (out of a group of 20-30) after they had been kept 24 hrs in ice cold tap water. They were put in tiny vases -1or2 in each vase, (maybe max 24oz of water in each vase). They had red gills and were clearly distressed when I rescued them. Both are swimming and ate for the first time yesterday. I’m not sure yet if they will make it.
  1. One looks like a goldfish although he has a black stripe from his mouth down his back/top fin to his tail. Identify? He is 2 inches long.
  2. The other is silver, pretty plain. 1-1/2 inches. Identify?

What kind of tank mates would you recommend? Do my new fish look like common goldfish or are they something else? Any advice on the new guys type and helping them survive? Will 90 gal be sufficient with these 3 (pleco+2newbies) plus 4 more of another fish species? How many could I add safely?
Pics attached.

SeaAngler2008

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2019
Add on with pics- on the 40 gal we have a 120gal top filter (a bit of overkill), a sponge filter, and two bubblers/air pumps. Artificial gravel substrate - we were planning maybe a sand instead for the 90 gal. We are doing weekly water changes and keep a close watch on chemical level with full testing kit and dip strips for double checks. Heater thermometer is set to 78 with a floater therm as a double check.
Tank Mates Question. Ready to upgrade and want to know what may be best to add.

Currently: I have a 40 gal/ the upgrade likely to 90 gal. Gibbiceps is 5 or 6 years old. He is in a freshwater tank and is almost 14 inches long. Artificial plants.

As of 2 days ago, I have two more fish- I was told both are feeder fish. Both of the little fish were saved (out of a group of 20-30) after they had been kept 24 hrs in ice cold tap water. They were put in tiny vases -1or2 in each vase, (maybe max 24oz of water in each vase). They had red gills and were clearly distressed when I rescued them. Both are swimming and ate for the first time yesterday. I’m not sure yet if they will make it.
  1. One looks like a goldfish although he has a black stripe from his mouth down his back/top fin to his tail. Identify? He is 2 inches long.
  2. The other is silver, pretty plain. 1-1/2 inches. Identify?
What kind of tank mates would you recommend? Do my new fish look like common goldfish or are they something else? Any advice on the new guys type and helping them survive? Will 90 gal be sufficient with these 3 (pleco+2newbies) plus 4 more of another fish species? How many could I add safely?
Pics attached.
253A6876-5D82-4D10-9AD2-1FF80BECB67D.jpeg

E7C5FD9F-5C6D-45F8-BC1B-0361E92EEA54.jpeg

4604694D-E92E-45EB-9DD6-66B87C9CA6D8.jpeg

SeaAngler2008

Feeder Fish
Mar 4, 2019
Oh and our big guy is sleeping but here is a picture of him. (About 14 inches long-gibbiceps/sail fun. Not a hypostomus)

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
It's actually an L001, not a sailfin.

I try not to harp on tank size but the pleco does need a bigger tank.

The orange with black is a Goldfish( expect him to lose the black as he grows).

Not sure about the other. Once you do the upgrade, you can try Danios, barbs(cherry barbs are my favorite(they are not active swimmers)). If you want bigger, try rainbows.

Reactions: Enmascarado
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store