Tankmates for 3 Senegalus

tyl089

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
San Jose,
I have 2 sens, one poly, and one ornate in 55g with potted plants and that's all I'm planning for awhile. Bichirs are interesting just by themselves and ornate is going to get big anyway.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Only thing I'd say is that with the clown loaches be cautious with the plants, I've heard many complaints of the loaches punching holes in some of the broader leafed plants. You can check out my 75 thread in my signature to see what I keep my bichirs with...its mostly fish that are 6" and under (its also a planted tank...I feel us plant people with larger fish gotta stick together ya know? :p)

superbuddha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
My Bichirs are home and happy! I ordered 1 spotted and 1 striped Raphael catfish and 2 large Siamese Algae Eaters. They should arrive Tuesday.

Oh, good to know about the clowns, I think I'll hold off on them for a while. Might pick up the rainbow shark and ghost knife in a week or two after the cats settle in.

I agree, planted with small monsters can be quite different. I had a planted 55 a couple years ago with inconsistent diy co2 and prob not enough light and ran into a beard algae problem about 6 months or 1 year in and fought it for a while.

Sadly I lost the battle. So I was plantless, gave a few fish away and picked up these amazing polys about 18 months ago when they were about 3 inches. So I was itching for some plants and decided if I was going get all set up again I wanted to do it big.

So I upgraded to a 75 for the polys, made a diy background with a couple caves, thought I would stop there and ended up building an aquarium stand as I had lots of quality hardwood scrap from work. Still working on the stand (the one in the photos) needs 2 cabinet doors and a droor face. And I will make a matching hood sometime in the future. And I also made a diy moonlight with variable voltage/brightness, guess I'll add that pick to.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpeg image.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

superbuddha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
oops, pics are a little large, and the pic of the moonlight is at max as the next brightness down (the one i keep it at) was a little to dim for the camera.

superbuddha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
I have 2 sens, one poly, and one ornate in 55g with potted plants and that's all I'm planning for awhile. Bichirs are interesting just by themselves and ornate is going to get big anyway.
The Ornates are beautiful, but much larger than i'd like to deal with at this time. As i am renting i don't want to get a tank larger than my 75 (this I said about my 55 before i upgraded...)

I thought about leaving plants in their pots...but, as soon as it comes time to trim and replant, the pots would be in the way.

superbuddha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
This is a great topic I'm wondering if I could possibly add some fish my tank it's a 55gal with 3 bichirs I know I will need to get a bigger tank but can I add fish now or is my tank to small??
How big are your polys now, and what species?

Brit.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2015
My Bichirs are home and happy! I ordered 1 spotted and 1 striped Raphael catfish and 2 large Siamese Algae Eaters. They should arrive Tuesday.

Oh, good to know about the clowns, I think I'll hold off on them for a while. Might pick up the rainbow shark and ghost knife in a week or two after the cats settle in.

I agree, planted with small monsters can be quite different. I had a planted 55 a couple years ago with inconsistent diy co2 and prob not enough light and ran into a beard algae problem about 6 months or 1 year in and fought it for a while.

Sadly I lost the battle. So I was plantless, gave a few fish away and picked up these amazing polys about 18 months ago when they were about 3 inches. So I was itching for some plants and decided if I was going get all set up again I wanted to do it big.

So I upgraded to a 75 for the polys, made a diy background with a couple caves, thought I would stop there and ended up building an aquarium stand as I had lots of quality hardwood scrap from work. Still working on the stand (the one in the photos) needs 2 cabinet doors and a droor face. And I will make a matching hood sometime in the future. And I also made a diy moonlight with variable voltage/brightness, guess I'll add that pick to.

View attachment 1142283 View attachment 1142283 View attachment 1142284 View attachment 1142285 View attachment 1142286 View attachment 1142287
U said arrived did u order online?? If so from who I've been wanting to try ordering online??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store