Teugelsi Growout Thread

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
After four months of searching, my polypterus teugelsi arrived today.
I'm very glad that he (or she) is here now.
IMG_20210416_082341.jpg
IMG_20210416_084235.jpg
To make it simple, i named it Murphy (long story made short: my search for this poly was like "Murphy's Law").
Murphy arrive way more smaler than i expecten (~ 1" or 1,5"), so i decided to make a growout thread. I think there hasn't been a teugelsi growout thread until now.
For now, Murphy is in a 15g growout tank.
IMG_20210416_142318.jpg
At the moment, Murphy is very shy. I think, i will be able to make better measurements and pictures, whe Murphy has calmed down.
At the moment, the food i can offer is:
- Rainbow Trout
- Tilapia
- Hikari Carnivore & Massivore Pellets
- Freshwater Shrimp
All fine cut, of course. I'll also try to get red mosquito larvae (there is probably a shorter way to say thise in english), because my other polys loved them, when they were smaller.

I looking forward to see murphy grow and will be happy for every tipp or suggestion you give me.
Who had already a poly an this size and what did you feed it?

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Polys always come in small! But he should color right up and settle in quick in that setup, he’s got plants and plenty of cover. I’ve always fed mine blood worms to start and switch to trout worms and massivore pellets broken up. Typically polys aren’t very difficult to feed but it may take a few days to eat something so don’t panic.

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Polys always come in small! But he should color right up and settle in quick in that setup, he’s got plants and plenty of cover. I’ve always fed mine blood worms to start and switch to trout worms and massivore pellets broken up. Typically polys aren’t very difficult to feed but it may take a few days to eat something so don’t panic.
Yes, i know... i got my others very small, too...but not that small. I wanted to get a teugelsi for years...so, yes, I'm very nervous, that i might do something wrong^^.
I don't know if i will be able to get bloodworms or similar, becaus many stores are closed around here at the moment. I wanted to startwith broken pellets(like you mentioned) and fine cut trout.

AbrahamKing0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2021
After four months of searching, my polypterus teugelsi arrived today.
I'm very glad that he (or she) is here now.
View attachment 1457796
View attachment 1457798
To make it simple, i named it Murphy (long story made short: my search for this poly was like "Murphy's Law").
Murphy arrive way more smaler than i expecten (~ 1" or 1,5"), so i decided to make a growout thread. I think there hasn't been a teugelsi growout thread until now.
For now, Murphy is in a 15g growout tank.
View attachment 1457797
At the moment, Murphy is very shy. I think, i will be able to make better measurements and pictures, whe Murphy has calmed down.
At the moment, the food i can offer is:
- Rainbow Trout
- Tilapia
- Hikari Carnivore & Massivore Pellets
- Freshwater Shrimp
All fine cut, of course. I'll also try to get red mosquito larvae (there is probably a shorter way to say thise in english), because my other polys loved them, when they were smaller.

I looking forward to see murphy grow and will be happy for every tipp or suggestion you give me.
Who had already a poly an this size and what did you feed it?
Brooooo I been looking for a teugelsi for so long where did u find it?

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Looks good, maybe a bite size tilapia would work if you cant find other food. Me personally will stay away from bloodworms, if you can get a really small bait worm and cut it bite size with a scissor that will be a better option imo.
Thanks for the advice with the baig worms. Why do you stay away from bloodworms? Have you had bad experiences with them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store