The Journey Begins..Oscars Growing Out

triggered

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
australia
So sorry to hear about your longfin...I'll be watching this thread too! Must have names for the lil' buggers. Watch the thin tatty one turn out to be the biggest bruiser, lol.

Things sure can happen quick, though. You adding any greenery to your setup?
I was actually going to try some banana lillies to see how they go with them... but was thinking plants and Oscars usually dont work...?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Considering that you have had the majority of them for 6 weeks now, I wouldn't expect to be seeing sunken stomachs. It looks to me like you have some form of IP's in that tank, some fish worse for wear than others. If you can get NLS Hex-Shield in your part of AU I would highly recommend feeding that to clear your fish out. If you can't get your hands on any Hex Shield I would recommend checking out my sticky on the 3% epsom salt solution. If one fish has it, the parasites will get spread about via their feces, so you will want to treat all.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I was sold a lemon Oscar with dark eyes, which turned out to be a red after a couple weeks. I didn't know the diff at the time.
Felix is my first Oscar in 45 years of aquariums.
Zed is the first betta I've grown to adulthood.
This was a year ago when they first met.
spy vs spy.jpg

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Greenery + Oscar = green salad

Does the Lemon have red eyes? . . .or is that just the camera?
LOL a couple of tricks enabled me to keep plants with my O...by combining LARGE plants and anchoring them under vines/boulders. Next trick is to have floating plants and suspended green vines making bridges. My O is constantly swimming through, around and under stuff. Some areas are open but he spends the majority of time under a canopy.

Reactions: Ulu and triggered

triggered

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
australia
Considering that you have had the majority of them for 6 weeks now, I wouldn't expect to be seeing sunken stomachs. It looks to me like you have some form of IP's in that tank, some fish worse for wear than others. If you can get NLS Hex-Shield in your part of AU I would highly recommend feeding that to clear your fish out. If you can't get your hands on any Hex Shield I would recommend checking out my sticky on the 3% epsom salt solution. If one fish has it, the parasites will get spread about via their feces, so you will want to treat all.
Thank you RD. I will definitely ask if we get hex-shield at local aquarium shop tomorrow am. If not i will look into the epsom salt treatment.

Reactions: RD.

triggered

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
australia
Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Right, I forgot about how things are in AU. Seems that we have also now gone that route here in Canada.

Good luck.

• Sad
Reactions: triggered
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store