The truth about flowerhorn kok/head grwoth

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Here to address the situation of flowerhorn head growth, how it happens and what you can do to try to increase size and colour.
FIRST OF ALL the most important factor in flowerhorn kok growth is genetics it is important to understand not all flowerhorn will grow a kok or a desirable size kok for that matter.
Flowerhorn foods sold e.g humpyhead will definitely benefit a flowerhorn but if it doesn't have the genes to grow a big head, humpyhead will do very little for it. However a juvenile flowerhorn starting to develop a kok can show potential but there are factors which can maximise the growth and colouration of a flowerhorn these are:
High Protein Foods
-These will help enhance colour and head growth if the flowerhorn has the right genes, as the kok is a fatty deposit on the head, high protein foods like Mysis, krill, shrimp,Prawn etc and flowerhorn foods will help promote the best colour and results for kok growth)
Water Quality
-This is essential for flowerhorns to look their best as although very hardy if not given the right water conditions there attributes breeders look for will slowly deteriorate a 30% water change every week will keep the flowerhorn healthy
Less Stress
-The more dominant a flowerhorn feels the more bold and beautiful they will become if they feel stressed they will not show their full potential e.g in a mixed community of big aggressive cichlids if the flowerhorn is stressed the kok will shrink it's simple really
Mirror Time
-Mirror time involves a mirror placed in view of the tank for around 30mins a day this makes the flowerhorn feel like their is a rival to see off so after you take the mirror away the flowerhorn will think it has won so will boast with colours and over time head growth, it is important not to over do mirror time as it can also lead to stress if done for long periods of time and the hump will shrink
Lastly
-A HAPPY FLOWERHORN IS A HEALTHY FLOWERHORN A MINIMUM OF 60 GALLONS WILL DO FOR AN ADULT FLOWERHORN FOR LIFE

Reactions: Grysts

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Last edited:

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That's one the great parts of this hobby, the never ending learning curve. Welcome to MFK.

FlowerhornFreak

Feeder Fish
Sep 23, 2018
This is my tank and maybe a 3.5-4 inch flowerhorn . When I went to the shop to buy him in India he had a big rounded hump but when my tanks activated carbon pouch clouded my water I started seeing his hump getting reduced the n iiIdid a 100% water change retaining the media cleaned them a little bit after 3 days little bit of its hump regained but not to the maximum now what should I do to get the max potential of him I feed him okiko platinum and started feeding optimum quick red 2 days ago and fed him market boiled shrimp for the first time... Wt are the other ways I can increase his hump growth to maximum any food pellets or any meat.should i keep a background if I should which one and have no gravel or rocks in my tank powerful top filter setup 15 day agoplease reply me bro and sisters. Pic of my channel given below tank dimension length 2ft,breadth 1 feet ,height 2 feet.

IMG_20180923_164320.jpg Screenshot_2018-09-23-16-42-41-023_com.miui.videoplayer.png Screenshot_2018-09-23-16-42-52-917_com.miui.videoplayer.png Screenshot_2018-09-23-16-42-28-625_com.miui.videoplayer.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store