Time to Max Size in Africans (mostly)

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
Hello! I was curious if anyone could shed some light on the following...

Typical time to reach max size for blue dolphin cichlid?

Typical time to reach max size for yellow lab?

Typical time to reach full size for red top zebra?

Typical time to reach full size for red empress?

Typical time to reach full size for Raphael cat?

Typical time to reach full size for bristlenose pleco?

All these fish were bought at around 1 to 1.5 inches.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard☺ Tbh there are many variables to be considered so know one can give a typical time period. Most hobbyists do their best by providing quality water with weekly wc's keeping nitrates under control and proper foods. Also fish growth can be slowed down by inhabitants or parasites and diseases. Everyone's aquarium will have different results.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Fish don't really stop growing throughout their lives.They slow down and growth will become hardly noticeable but they will keep growing.
Most of the fish you mention will be somewhere near full size after 3 to 4 years with the bulk of their growth happening in the first couple of years.
Can't be exact for the reasons Mr Lindsey pointed out.

Reactions: tlindsey

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Only the Moori could get near a foot
Only the bristlenose might take longer to reach max size
Of course if they're all in a 20 gallon I wouldn't worry about any surviving to adulthood (maybe the Raphael)
Quid pro quo= how big is your tank?

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
Only the Moori could get near a foot
Only the bristlenose might take longer to reach max size
Of course if they're all in a 20 gallon I wouldn't worry about any surviving to adulthood (maybe the Raphael)
Quid pro quo= how big is your tank?
110 gallon tank. We would prefer everyone to be as big as they can get, so not a fan of overcrowding them. Also, the fish that we currently have make enough mess as it is. We have 1 dragon blood peacock, 3 yellow labs, 3 blue dolphins, 1 red top zebra, 1 red empress, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 1 Raphael cat.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
:) sorry I worked at a pet store for too long. You'd be surprised how many idiots have asked me how many MORE oscars they can fit in their 10 gallon with their baby painted turtle. Yellow labs are very prolific. I still have no idea how to sex them 100% If you don't want a tank full of them I'd recommend just going with a singular little yellow jerk fish. Even catfish have a hard time keeping up with eating all those eggs and babies. +they can get aggressive defending their progeny

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store