Trouble identifying new catfish?

k813

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2018
Hi there everyone. I’m new to this forum, but thought I’d join in hopes of positively identifying a new catfish I’ve acquired and some info about it. I got it labeled as an albino Asian redtail catfish. It was also dubbed by the previous owner as extremely aggressive. I currently have it housed with my red eared slider and there has been no issues whatsoever, it actually seems like a very relaxed catfish (which is weird to me). By looks of it, it seems like a Hemibagrus nemerus. would this be the correct classification? Thanks!

C9663036-3EE7-4D11-BFE0-5BD51089D9CD.jpeg

k813

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2018
Also, is this truly an albino? Just curious as the eyes are black and not red. Thanks again!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi there everyone. I’m new to this forum, but thought I’d join in hopes of positively identifying a new catfish I’ve acquired and some info about it. I got it labeled as an albino Asian redtail catfish. It was also dubbed by the previous owner as extremely aggressive. I currently have it housed with my red eared slider and there has been no issues whatsoever, it actually seems like a very relaxed catfish (which is weird to me). By looks of it, it seems like a Hemibagrus nemerus. would this be the correct classification? Thanks!

View attachment 1350078
Welcome aboard
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Reactions: k813

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Also, is this truly an albino? Just curious as the eyes are black and not red. Thanks again!
I would not call that a true albino i would call it a xanthic.

k813

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2018
Maybe a xanthix wyckii.
Yes I was wondering if it was a xanthix or maybe even a leucistic?? I apologise if I’m wrong, but aren’t wyckiis extremely aggressive? After observing my new cat, in no way is it aggressive. It has a very calm temperament. It hasn’t torn apart my tank lol and I also had a couple of albino iridescent sharks that were maybe 2”. While one died, the other ones still living and it seems as though the catfish has no interest in killing off that fish. The shark swims right past the catfish constantly and the catfish doesn’t even care.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Yes I was wondering if it was a xanthix or maybe even a leucistic?? I apologise if I’m wrong, but aren’t wyckiis extremely aggressive? After observing my new cat, in no way is it aggressive. It has a very calm temperament. It hasn’t torn apart my tank lol and I also had a couple of albino iridescent sharks that were maybe 2”. While one died, the other ones still living and it seems as though the catfish has no interest in killing off that fish. The shark swims right past the catfish constantly and the catfish doesn’t even care.
Def not a leucistic since its yellow. Leucistics lack all pigments and is pure white with black eyes.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
It's what's know in the hobby as albino hemibagrus nemurus, they rarely exceed 12" in the aquarium as they are fish farm culls. They are a food fish in the far East.
Whether they are actually a nemurus is highly debatable.
They are a cousin of the wyckii. The guy we don't speak of with all the albino fish has an albino wyckii, they are extremely rare and a different shape.
These are fairly community friendly contrary to what you read online. I've had several, great active little cats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store