Trouble identifying new catfish?

k813

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2018
It's what's know in the hobby as albino hemibagrus nemurus, they rarely exceed 12" in the aquarium as they are fish farm culls. They are a food fish in the far East.
Whether they are actually a nemurus is highly debatable.
They are a cousin of the wyckii. The guy we don't speak of with all the albino fish has an albino wyckii, they are extremely rare and a different shape.
These are fairly community friendly contrary to what you read online. I've had several, great active little cats.
Thanks!

Reactions: justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Your welcome;-)

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So,the fish is considered an albino despite it's black eyes?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
It's what's know in the hobby as albino hemibagrus nemurus, they rarely exceed 12" in the aquarium as they are fish farm culls. They are a food fish in the far East.
They are a cousin of the wyckii. The guy we don't speak of with all the albino fish has an albino wyckii, they are extremely rare and a different shape.
These are fairly community friendly contrary to what you read online. I've had several, great active little cats.
+1 shape of body, fins, and adipose is off of wyckii. Wyckioides has longer barbels and eye placement is a little different. And maybe eye shape.

K krichardson the fish is hemibagrus nemurus. Not an Albino.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Why don't we mention him?

Reactions: Fishman Dave

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
+1 shape of body, fins, and adipose is off of wyckii. Wyckioides has longer barbels and eye placement is a little different. And maybe eye shape.

K krichardson the fish is hemibagrus nemurus. Not an Albino.
I'm just questioning what justarn said,that you quoted and plus one'd.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I honestly couldn't say if it's a true albino, it's mostly sold here in the UK as an albino artc but that is very far from the truth. Most refer to it as albino nemurus...

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Likely just a yellow colour morph.
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter can explain the debate on what it actually is better than me. At times people have suspected hemibagrus filamentosus if that's the right name, I believe Viktor has gone full circle back to nemurus.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Not so long ago it was also considered as hemibagrus docmak although that was when the family were still considered mystus . some places no longer consider docmak at all favouring filamentosus. Most will consider it under nemurus now although I would agree on a few points.
Yet to find a large one, and by large i mean bigger than 12" .
Yes, as catfish go they are fairly friendly, although mine hates the tiger dat. They don't tend to try to eat anything larger than their mouths however they are still catfish and defend a territory. Slow growers, but probably due to a smaller adult size.
as for the eyes, are you really sure they are not red?
Thought mine had black eyes but when you look closer you can in some light tell they are actually red but almost like red glass on a black backing- almost impossible to tell they are red without looking real close.
One thing we all agree on, not albino or luecistic or xanthic hemibagrus wickiiodes - not Asian retail cats in any way.

k813

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2018
I just looked closer, and his eyes are red like fishman Dave said. Thank you everyone for all the info on this new guy!

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store