Turtle pond

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
That's surprising, I thought the turtles would have rode out the heat underneath the water, guess they took advantage of the sun.
I made the mistake of showing the pictures to my 4 year old with the inevitable result, if I hear her ask for a turtle one more time today I will explode!
Yeah my 3year old loves them. Its funny to see her sit talking to them bless her.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
This is outstanding. Such a beautiful set up, and hilarious that the one comes for a snack.

This is very inspiring for me. I am hoping for a pond after my move. I’ve heard they have much more moderate winters where I am moving to but it still snows. I thought it would be such a waste to have a pond but then everything either die or have to come inside for the winter.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I'm not sure just how cold it gets where you are but we get snow sometimes here.
We also get frosts.
Yellow belly sliders, red eared sliders and cooters all do very well year round here.
If your in Canada though I hear it gets bloody cold over there.

Reactions: Matteus

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
My buddy has a series of ponds in his yard the most recent one is 6' deep and it's got quite a bit of surface area. Here in Michigan it still freezes most of the way down, if the pump isn't running all the time. He tried a couple turtles they didnt make the winter. He figured it would be deep enough but come spring 1 was nowhere to be found the other was dead. I had thought it a bad idea but the shop that he goes to told him theyd be alright. The logic sounded good they were painted turtles which are indigenous to the area. His bull frogs do survive the winters but their a little different also. All his koi and comets come inside as do most of his plants. But your pond blows all of his out of the water!

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks.
It's usually lack of oxygen or drowning that kills them. Juvenile turtles will also struggle with brumation.
I would not over winter any turtle under 5inches, only healthy adults. I don't know a lot about the painted turtle. Cooters, sliders, European pond turtles and some map turtles do well here and would as far as I am aware, be your best bet.
If you do try, over saturate the pond with oxygen and give them easy access out of the pond.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I kept painted turtles as a kid living in southern ON, but I kept them indoors over the winter months. As twentylegues stated they are indigenous to the area so if the pond is deep enough and there is 02, they should survive. Here in AB @ -40F, not so much.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I kept painted turtles as a kid living in southern ON, but I kept them indoors over the winter months. As twentylegues stated they are indigenous to the area so if the pond is deep enough and there is 02, they should survive. Here in AB @ -40F, not so much.
-40 holy crap, that's cold.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Add wind chill in and it can be closer to -50F. In fact the coldest temp ever recorded in Canada was in this province.

January 11, 1911Fort Vermilion, Alberta−61.1 °C (−78.0 °F)

• Wow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store