Turtle pond

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I'm not sure just how cold it gets where you are but we get snow sometimes here.
We also get frosts.
Yellow belly sliders, red eared sliders and cooters all do very well year round here.
If your in Canada though I hear it gets bloody cold over there.
Where I am going- near where Neil has previously mentioned, they have indigenous snapping turtles which I think would be cool to keep in a pond. I’m not aposed to bringing them in for the winter as long as legalities permit.

Yes it can get quite cold here. Anything below -30c - if you spit, it is frozen before it hits the ground. It freezes your nostril hairs when you breath. It doesn’t happen very often, but it does happen. Let’s talk about summer things now. It’s hot outside and we only get a couple weeks of that here so let’s live that up. Lol.

How about some closer pics of the turtles and the pond Stanzzz

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Where I am going- near where Neil has previously mentioned, they have indigenous snapping turtles which I think would be cool to keep in a pond. I’m not aposed to bringing them in for the winter as long as legalities permit.

Yes it can get quite cold here. Anything below -30c - if you spit, it is frozen before it hits the ground. It freezes your nostril hairs when you breath. It doesn’t happen very often, but it does happen. Let’s talk about summer things now. It’s hot outside and we only get a couple weeks of that here so let’s live that up. Lol.

How about some closer pics of the turtles and the pond Stanzzz
I will get some more pics when I get round to it. For now here is a little video of Donnie making his way to my back door for a snack.
I love this little guy.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Won't be showing the latest pics to the daughter!

How do you actually get the rescue turtles? Do you advertise or are you just known as a fish/reptile guy and people seek you out?

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I'm a rescue service for turtles and ad ertise as such on various Facebook groups.
You would be amazed how many turtles are actually up for adoption.
The trouble is it's illegal to sell red eared sliders or yellow sliders in the UK. They are classed as an invasive species.
People that bought cute little 1 inch turtles in the 90s are now left with a 13 inch turtle in a tiny 55gallon and shops can't take them.
It's a real shame as lots get dumped in to the wild and local councils are told to kill them.

Reactions: Ogertron3000

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I'm a rescue service for turtles and ad ertise as such on various Facebook groups.
You would be amazed how many turtles are actually up for adoption.
The trouble is it's illegal to sell red eared sliders or yellow sliders in the UK. They are classed as an invasive species.
People that bought cute little 1 inch turtles in the 90s are now left with a 13 inch turtle in a tiny 55gallon and shops can't take them.
It's a real shame as lots get dumped in to the wild and local councils are told to kill them.
Thats kind of what I figured when you said they had found a spot in the wild. I could see them being quite invasive.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thats kind of what I figured when you said they had found a spot in the wild. I could see them being quite invasive.
Yes they are. The thing is they are easy to keep outside. I don't think many people in the UK actually realise this is a viable option. Lots of people have garden ponds and could probably cater for a couple of turtles. I'm trying to make it more widely known that this is a workable and enjoyable option for the turtles and the keeper.
I've always stayed clear of Facebook until recently but it's a great platform to spread a little awareness.
I'm not changing the world here but if I can help a few turtles find a good home it's well worth the time.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Yes they are. The thing is they are easy to keep outside. I don't think many people in the UK actually realise this is a viable option. Lots of people have garden ponds and could probably cater for a couple of turtles. I'm trying to make it more widely known that this is a workable and enjoyable option for the turtles and the keeper.
I've always stayed clear of Facebook until recently but it's a great platform to spread a little awareness.
I'm not changing the world here but if I can help a few turtles find a good home it's well worth the time.
Some times you have to partner with the devil to do gods work.
Every little bit helps, props to you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store