Unpopular Opinions - Hybrid Cichlids

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
Im working on breeding my Texas and my Salvini cichlid. They laid eggs once then she ate them a day later have not had any success sense then
I think you should check my thread on my salvini X Texas to have a idea of what you’ll get

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Fancy goldfish aren't hybrids... they're pure C. auratus. Just with lots of inbreeding to accentuate man-desired characteristics. You know like giant sacks of fluid under their eyes ;)

So are the people who are "against" hybrids actually against "fancy" fish? Some fancy fish or all fancy fish? Where to draw the line? Survivability in the wild? Better write off those "Marlboro Red" discus and Merlion Arrowanas. And pretty much all goldfish, bettas, guppies, albinos, long fins, hi-fins and non-wild-type livebearers - an orange Mickey Mouse platy will get you eaten by predators...

Ability to live a long life? I've seen some decade plus old parrot fish and muti decade old fancy goldfish. Fancy "Firefish" peacocks (which are hybrids) will kick the crap out of just about any fish actually from Lake Malawi.

My point is that there's really no point in being "against" any of this stuff. People like what they like. Appreciate those who do it well.

Bassmaster360

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Fancy goldfish aren't hybrids... they're pure C. auratus. Just with lots of inbreeding to accentuate man-desired characteristics. You know like giant sacks of fluid under their eyes ;)

So are the people who are "against" hybrids actually against "fancy" fish? Some fancy fish or all fancy fish? Where to draw the line? Survivability in the wild? Better write off those "Marlboro Red" discus and Merlion Arrowanas. And pretty much all goldfish, bettas, guppies, albinos, long fins, hi-fins and non-wild-type livebearers - an orange Mickey Mouse platy will get you eaten by predators...

Ability to live a long life? I've seen some decade plus old parrot fish and muti decade old fancy goldfish. Fancy "Firefish" peacocks (which are hybrids) will kick the crap out of just about any fish actually from Lake Malawi.

My point is that there's really no point in being "against" any of this stuff. People like what they like. Appreciate those who do it well.
I agree. People who are against hybrids or fancies are exercising major aquarist mental masturbation.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
There was a recent Chinese study proving twin tailed goldfish varieties likely originated from hybridization of two different species of carp.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Wow. The thread asked for unpopular opinions. Since apparently everybody else thinks hybrids, fancies, etc. are just the greatest thing since sliced toilet paper...and since I am apparently the only holdout who doesn't like 'em...I guess that means that I am the only person who actually provided a truly unpopular opinion. You can notify me by PM how to go about picking up my prize. :)

So, before the insults become more and more personal, I will refrain from engaging in more "douchebaggery" or "major aquarist mental masturbation"...or, as I prefer to call it, "thinking" about this silly topic...and bow out.

Enjoy your shortbodied albino longfin telescope-eyed flowerhorns! :)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
"major aquarist mental masturbation"
Can somebody explain to me what this even means!! Lol.

shortbodied albino longfin telescope-eyed flowerhorns! :)
Sounds like one of my abstract paintings, lol.

Seriously though guys, the title of the thread begins with "unpopular opinions". jjohnwm jjohnwm has offered his unpopular opinion, and for what it's worth an extremely valid one, I agree with him wholeheartedly. Bubble eyed this, shortbodied that, glow in the dark, whatever. Certainly not for me....or John....anyone else?

Oh and John, I believe your prize is being boxed up as we speak. It is a shortbodied albino longfin telescope eyed flowerhorn. And just for extra variety, a male at that, with a nuchal hump bred into it that is the size of a basketball! Lol.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...Can somebody explain to me what this even means!! Lol...
I sure can't...I was quoting some other alliteration-loving scallawag.

Oh and John, I believe your prize is being boxed up as we speak. It is a shortbodied albino longfin telescope eyed flowerhorn. And just for extra variety, a male at that, with a nuchal hump bred into it that is the size of a basketball! Lol.
Perfect! I'm sure my Jelly Cat will find it delicious...

I was going to ask the same thing…
Just remember, everyone deserves an opinion as long as they all agree with yours.
Exactly! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...and to mine...:)

Reactions: Deadeye

Bassmaster360

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I agree. People who are against hybrids or fancies are exercising major aquarist mental masturbation.
looks like my opinion of people who have an opinion on hybrid cichlids different from my opinion is quite... unpopular :headbang2 that much circumnavigation is in of itself mental masturbation :ROFL:

Cichlids-r-beasts

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Very overrated.
Appreciate the personality on flowerhorns but they get it from the Amphilophus family, mainly Trimacs. Other than that you have a weird looking fish that’s slow, extremely clumsy and has a ton of health issues, all for “insane color and a huge nuchal hump”?
Don’t like the bare bottom tanks but to each their own.
Also hate how any fish that has similarities to a flowerhorn is automatically one or a “flowerhorn hybrid” As if a flowerhorn isn’t already a hybrid.
I’ve seen people call Barred Midas’ Flowerhorns, a washed out extremely stressed FIREMOUTH a hybrid. Gets annoying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store