Wanted: big fish without heater

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
You are great in not willing to accept me to surrender. 😀
I did let my mind soar about amphibians, but don' t like them much.
I had a group of newts, long time ago and they were pretty boring to me, hardly ever moving and unable to aim precisely for food close to their mouth.
Huge amount of poop...
Firemouth cichlids can stand cool water for a while, but are more comfortable at littler warmer water, aren't they?
And I am not a big cichlid fan at the moment, mostly grey body is not appealing imo too.
Plus I kept their cousins for years and one day, suddenly, one male decided to be a killer.
And rosy barbs growing that large in a tank I never heard of.

Last edited:
Reactions: latapy10

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
You are great in not willing to accept me to surrender. 😀
I did let my mind soar about amphibians, but don' t like them much.
I had a group of newts, long time ago and they were pretty boring to me, hardly ever moving and unable to aim precisely for food close to their mouth.
Huge amount of poop...
Firemouth cichlids can stand cool water for a while, but are more comfortable at littler warmer water, aren't they?
And I am not a big cichlid fan at the moment, mostly grey body is not appealing imo too.
Plus I kept their cousins for years and one day, suddenly, one male decided to be a killer.
And rosy barbs growing that large in a tank I never heard of.
aquarism has no limits when choosing fish...:goldfish:

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Hello,

although maxing out at 6-7 inches mostly, some of them are said to reach 8 inches, are rainbow sharks.
Does slight overcrowding for spreading aggression work? Or will the strongest still pick on the weaker ones?
Let's say 12-15 of these guys, which are fine with 68°F btw, no fish else.
Or even 20, because filtration ist no problem.
Anyone tried it yet?
I know it takes long untill they are 6 inch plus.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Hi again, after thinking a really long time about it, I decided for some one male/ some females of red hump eartheaters and eastern rainbow fish.
I did not want any cichlids at first, mainly because of aggression and all the offspring to be expected.
But just one male and a couple of hides for the females should lower aggression considerably and the rainbow fish will snack on the fry hopefully.
Both species CAN reach 8 inches and they are thriving at 68°F, but as long as they are young, I am going to be heating the tank to 72-74 degrees for a while, before decreasing the temperature gradually.
So, a happy ending thread, thx to all!

Juliett78

Feeder Fish
Aug 4, 2023
What you’re looking for in a small 100 gallon is way too specific for your rigid requirements. Either some shubunkins if they absolutely need to hit a minimum 8” or settle for some cool barbs like filament or mascara barbs and such
Hi guys
While it's essential to have specific requirements for a small 100-gallon tank, it's also crucial to consider some flexibility when selecting fish. Shubunkins could be a great choice if you're set on a minimum size, but don't overlook the charm of cool barbs like filament or mascara barbs.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
1691228339743.png1691228376834.png1691228434844.png
Above are 3 species of Gymnogeophagus, the left 2 are from Uruguay, the right southern Brazil.
These countries (areas) are from southern S America, and not tropical, bur are temperate. All 3 species are feasible in a 100 gal tank, as long as water quality is maintained withe frequent water change routine.
1691228712774.png
Another genus from that part of the world is Australoheros.
1691228856500.png 1691228804686.png
Left in breeding color, right normal color.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store