What is F1 Kamfa?

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
F2. Once a kamfa is used as a parent then the offspring are gen 2 kamfa's. Granted since you used another breed besides kamfa as the other parent they will have more in common with a gen 1 then they would with a gen 2.
I don't think that is correct. A Kamfa x Kamfa breeding would be f2 kamfa. Kamfa x anything else could not be called an f2 Kamfa.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I don't think that is correct. A Kamfa x Kamfa breeding would be f2 kamfa. Kamfa x anything else could not be called an f2 Kamfa.
Ahh ok. Yeah I was just going off of a tangent of what red cichlid had mentioned previously.

So while we are discussing this, what would my FH be labeled as? She was made using a female trimac and a male kamfa, (atleast according to the pet store). Would she then be just a trimac x kamfa or just a f1 kamfa?

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
So while we are discussing this, what would my FH be labeled as? She was made using a female trimac and a male kamfa, (atleast according to the pet store). Would she then be just a trimac x kamfa or just a f1 kamfa?
If you know that is actually what it is I would say call it a Kamfa x Trimac for best accuracy. It gives you more info than just "Kamfa" and since it's not a line bred Kamfa it would be more important to highlight the outcross to trimac if you intend on using it to breed.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
If you know that is actually what it is I would say call it a Kamfa x Trimac for best accuracy. It gives you more info than just "Kamfa" and since it's not a line bred Kamfa it would be more important to highlight the outcross to trimac if you intend on using it to breed.
Yeah I'm currently trying to pair her up with my male (unfaded) red Texas but so far he doesn't seem to like her any. The main goal is to produce offspring with increased reds and blues. But yeah so far it's looking like this pair just isn't going to happen.

O this is the female I'm trying to work with btw.

cameringo_20211114_194739.jpg

Reactions: Red Cichlids

Super Red Jay

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2022
Here is a previous thread with more information on the subject.

There is some discussion on the use of F# designation. It is often used to note distance from wild caught fish in pure species. It is also used to document hybrids or crosses between varieties of all sorts of plants and animals.

I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that with flowerhorns, folks were using f1, f2 and so on to refer to crosses between a flowerhorn and a vieja, not necessarily keeping within the same exact family. Here is a link to a FB post with more information, using the term to discuss breeding within a family and not introducing any new genetic material besides the initial mother and father. That is difficult due to the fertility problems with many vieja and parrot crosses.

It's a bit confusing to keep track of because the modern flowerhorns are dozens of generations down from the initial crosses of trimaculatum and parrots, herichthys, and who knows what else. But if you take the crossbred flowerhorn and breed it with a pure vieja or a parrot, the term is f1 kamfa.

I don't know if any breeders of flowerhorns that are working past, say, F4 without adding any new genetic material, and frankly, I don't think I would want one that was that inbred. When you get past even f3, unless you are only working with the original two parents' genetics, I don't see the point of labeling it f4, f5, f6 etc because they've just joined the mishmash of genes that make up the flowerhorn anyway.
1844.jpg

1853.jpg

1838.jpg

863.jpg

816.jpg

817.jpg

833.jpg

843.jpg

kumarGreen

Feeder Fish
Sep 13, 2022
small doubt, small off topic, if Veija syn male breed with f2 kamfa female. what will be out put ? f1 kamfa or what ?

Anyone paired Vieja syn male with flowerhorn female like gb female or kml female ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store