Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

What is on my blue German ram?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by Ariel_Saxon, Oct 4, 2018.

Tags:
    1. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon Black Skirt Tetra

Ariel Saxon
      Yesterday at 9:11 AM
      My blue German rams has spots on his head that almost looks like white works coming out. The spots don't move and do not has the cotton look that most fungus do. He was moved yesterday to the quarantine tank and I added tetra all in one treatment. Today I added the second dose but I can't tell if it is helping. No other fish from the tank have it and the spots are only on his head. He is acting as he always does and is eating well. Any suggestions?

KIMG3807.jpg KIMG3791.jpg KIMG3787.jpg KIMG3809.jpg KIMG3813.jpg KIMG3814.jpg

2. tlindsey

tlindsey Blue Tier VIP

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      Today at 2:26 AM

Possibly lymphocytes or something else viral.
      @duanes@duanes
      @kno4te@kno4te

kno4te and Ariel_Saxon like this.
    3. white specter crayfish

Jeffrey
      Thursday at 11:25 AM
      looks like a virus or fungal infection. It isn't ich because that affects the fins, gills, and softer parts first, it might be a fungal infection, but it doesn't look fuzzy. I'm betting it's a viral infection because it doesn't look fuzzy, and it hasn't overtaken the tank like ich or something else would have

Ariel_Saxon likes this.
    4. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel Saxon
      Have you used tetra all in one before? I'm wondering if it will treat whatever it is. I'm on the second out of five treatments. I've just never incountered this before and my water parameters are great so I don't know what happened.

5. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel Saxon
      Do you think the tetra all in one will treat it? It's a 5 day treatment and I'm only on the second day.

6. duanes

duanes Gold Tier VIP

Duane
      Yesterday at 9:15 PM
      fullsizeoutput_9ce.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9cd.jpeg I agree it looks to be Lymph, especially since its eating well.
      The name columnaris refers to column like bacterial growths that look similar, but cichlids with columnaris usually reject food and just hover.
      If a virus like Lymph, no medications are effective, only best water conditions possible, with low stress. Only time will tell
      And just in its case bacterial, raised temps could be counter productive.
      Tannins could help for that type tank, being anti bacterial in nature.

tlindsey and Ariel_Saxon like this.
    7. Ariel_Saxon

Ariel Saxon
      I raised the temperature of heater yesterday when I started treatment. They are in the quarantine tank with the cardinals they were housed with as I'm concerned on what is going on with the tetras (their displaying a entirely separate list of symptoms). I don't have an additional tank to separate the two different fish so would the medicine make the rams issue worse as I continue treating the cardinals?

8. duanes

duanes Gold Tier VIP

Duane
      Yesterday at 9:15 PM
      If its Lymph, medication could be detrimental, because it increases osmotic pressure (stress) on these soft water (low osmotic pressure) evolved species, which need less stress to allow their immune system to succeed in fighting off the virus.
      And because virus's are unaffected by medication anyway, whats the point of meds.
      If it is "bacteria", that is a different story, then an antibiotic effective against whatever type bacteria (gram - or gram +), and "not raising temp" is best case scenario.
      Taking a swab to the microbiology lab at a university near you, might be worth a try, because just by looking at a pic, it is nearly impossible to tell. Microscopy is a more reliable method.

Ariel_Saxon, DOOB and tlindsey like this.
    9. white specter crayfish

Jeffrey
      Thursday at 11:25 AM
      you mean API General Cure? Yeah I've used it before, it is good for most cases, but it doesn't seem to work with internal parasite IME

Ariel_Saxon likes this.
    10. kno4te

kno4te MFK Moderators
      Staff Member

Ron
      Today at 6:08 AM
      Easily could be viral. To be honest. It doesn’t have the flat or cauliflower like lesion to it that suggests lymph but not everything is cookie cutter. Would dose with prazipro. Won’t hurt ur BB.

Ariel_Saxon likes this.