What is on my blue German ram?

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
hello; been there and done that. By saying this I mean I have had sick fish and took a shot at a treatment which did not work. So I tried some other treatment and after that another different treatment. Never sure if all the side effects of the treatments dis the fish in or if the initial disease did.
When I do not have a pretty clear notion of the problem I now try to keep things to a separate tank with good water conditions. Separate tank so the stress of being in a community tank is reduced.
Also if the fish does die then it will not be fed on by the other fish and this should reduce the chance of other fish picking up a disease by such direct contact. A small preventative measure but??
That's one of the things I'm worried about is harming him from different medications. I just hate to lose him and it doesn't look like it is getting any better. I probably need to stick with frequent water changes at this point . Would aquarium salt be considered medicine and possibly have adverse effects or should I leave it alone and just stuck with water changes?

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
hello; been there and done that. By saying this I mean I have had sick fish and took a shot at a treatment which did not work. So I tried some other treatment and after that another different treatment. Never sure if all the side effects of the treatments dis the fish in or if the initial disease did.
When I do not have a pretty clear notion of the problem I now try to keep things to a separate tank with good water conditions. Separate tank so the stress of being in a community tank is reduced.
Also if the fish does die then it will not be fed on by the other fish and this should reduce the chance of other fish picking up a disease by such direct contact. A small preventative measure but??
That's one of the things I'm worried about is harming him from different medications. I just hate to lose him and it doesn't look like it is getting any better. I probably need to stick with frequent water changes at this point . Would aquarium salt be considered medicine and possibly have adverse effects or should I leave it alone and just stuck with water changes?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
often see rams with this... It's sad because I have never been able to cure it
Far to many rams have this for it to be something like that.
Don't hesitate to medicate with your best guess.

Would aquarium salt be considered medicine and possibly have adverse effects or should I leave it alone and just stuck with water changes?
Hello; Since I do not have any idea what the problem is I cannot answer this question.
Philipraposo 1982 has some experience with this. It would seen you do not really have anything to lose. Perhaps he/she will list the medications that failed so you can try something different.

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Did a water change and added some cichlid trace. He actually looks better today but I know this could quickly change again. I did decide not to medicate any more and just monitor unless I notice fungus forming on some of the areas but there's definitely improvement today!

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
I've seen more improvement since yesterday. The spots look like they are healing up even the one in the middle of his head looks much smaller and not as protruding as it was. Fingers crossed!

KIMG3885.jpg KIMG3886.jpg KIMG3897.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store