What is on my blue German ram?

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I often see rams with this... It's sad because I have never been able to cure it which means the fish dies shortly after.

The holes will erupt and keep getting larger and the fish dies from what is probably some infection. I stopped keeping rams because of this.

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
I often see rams with this... It's sad because I have never been able to cure it which means the fish dies shortly after.

The holes will erupt and keep getting larger and the fish dies from what is probably some infection. I stopped keeping rams because of this.
That's what I was afraid I was going to hear! This was the male from my pair and he has a crazy personality! It very well might be too because now some of the white spots are gone but have left a small hole! It's amazing that he is still not acting any way out of the ordinary.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Those locations are sensory pits.
I believe you because the spots are symmetrical on his head besides the one in the middle and it's bigger than the other two. He's acting a bit stressed today. Is it contributed to water quality because he was in the tank with his mate for a couple weeks before the other fish were added and I struggled with parameters and ph at that time but it's been well since.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
In my previous cases with a similar thing it didn't take long before my fish were overwhelmed.

Don't hesitate to medicate with your best guess.
Well today is the last treatment with the all in one cure and I'm doing a water change tomorrow but I'm clueless what to do then. I've been debating on using salt but wasn't sure if it would effect him in a bad way. Today it looks like the little spots are healing but the one in the middle is still big. Hrs acting quite lively again. I'll try to get another pic in a little bit so you can see. My female is not doing it. I guess I separated them in time if it is something she can get it from him.

Ariel_Saxon

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2017
Here's pictures for an update. The symmetrical spots along the ridge of the eyes seem more like holes now and the one in the middle looks about the same. I did notice he has a new spot on his lower mouth. He is still eating and showing off his colors. I would have thought with today being the last dose of the treatment that there would be more improvement if it was going to work so water change tomorrow and debating on using aquarium salt.

KIMG3829.jpg KIMG3854.jpg KIMG3868.jpg KIMG3871.jpg KIMG3877.jpg KIMG3878.jpg

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I would have thought with today being the last dose of the treatment that there would be more improvement if it was going to work so water change tomorrow and debating on using aquarium salt.
hello; been there and done that. By saying this I mean I have had sick fish and took a shot at a treatment which did not work. So I tried some other treatment and after that another different treatment. Never sure if all the side effects of the treatments dis the fish in or if the initial disease did.
When I do not have a pretty clear notion of the problem I now try to keep things to a separate tank with good water conditions. Separate tank so the stress of being in a community tank is reduced.
Also if the fish does die then it will not be fed on by the other fish and this should reduce the chance of other fish picking up a disease by such direct contact. A small preventative measure but??

Reactions: Ariel_Saxon
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store