What is the easiest and most successful way to pellet train RTG Arowana?

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
i have a arowana that got cloudy eye from undernourishment because i was only feeding it bloodworms and my tank was not very taken care of at that time...

So i decided i would make him eat pellets unless i feel like giving him a cube of bloodworms

so i did not feed him for about a month... i would put in the pellets and he would not even notice them... i put them in once a week... then he was getting super skinny and i was worried about him starving but then i decided "you know what i will let him keep starving till he eats the pellets"

i kept at it and now every morning as soon as he see me holding the pellet container he races to the left side of the tank cause that is where the BGK is not...

(i did the same thing with the BGK and it now eats the pellets also it eats on the right side)

Sadly the arowana still has cloudy eye but i think it is slowly going away thanks to the pellets and the 50% WC every other day...
What is BGk bro? Also please tell me about your arowana? Is is a Asain arowana if Yes then whats the size and you did not feed anything for a month?

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
i have a arowana that got cloudy eye from undernourishment because i was only feeding it bloodworms and my tank was not very taken care of at that time...

So i decided i would make him eat pellets unless i feel like giving him a cube of bloodworms

so i did not feed him for about a month... i would put in the pellets and he would not even notice them... i put them in once a week... then he was getting super skinny and i was worried about him starving but then i decided "you know what i will let him keep starving till he eats the pellets"

i kept at it and now every morning as soon as he see me holding the pellet container he races to the left side of the tank cause that is where the BGK is not...

(i did the same thing with the BGK and it now eats the pellets also it eats on the right side)

Sadly the arowana still has cloudy eye but i think it is slowly going away thanks to the pellets and the 50% WC every other day...
What is BGk bro? Also please tell me about your arowana? Is is a Asain arowana if Yes then whats the size and which type is it (RTG, Red, High back ) and you did not feed anything at all for a month?

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
bgk is a black ghost knifefish...
i would put pellets in but refused to put bloodworms in just pellets
he eventually cam around and now he loves the pellets (on special occasions i will feed him some bloodworms)

Reactions: Addi_13

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
bgk is a black ghost knifefish...
i would put pellets in but refused to put bloodworms in just pellets
he eventually cam around and now he loves the pellets (on special occasions i will feed him some bloodworms)

Thanks bro for replaying but Bro please tell me what type of Arowana do you have and what’s the size? It’s very crucial question as mine is only 9” RTG and I don’t know whether to starve him for a month. Please tell. Also please tell which pellets did you use to train him? Thank you very much bro.

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
no problem,
i am guessing that since you have an asian you are not located in the AMAZING United States of America?

Reactions: Addi_13

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
no problem,
i am guessing that since you have an asian you are not located in the AMAZING United States of America?
Haha no bro, I live in incredible India. Btw he is in community tank now and I am feeding Hikari bio gold and hikari bio gold plus there. Thanks to you I am certain now that there is nothing wrong with the pellets it’s just he is being stubborn and not eating them. Other fishes attack them as soon it hits the water, maybe that behaviour is attracting him too but he still ignore them but he also becomes bit excited at feeding time and after releasing that its pellets he starts to ignore them again. I think I need to starve him for long time. Pellets I have tried till now are Hikari sticks, Azoo 9 in 1 sticks, Inch gold sticks, Azoo carnivore sticks, hikari Massivore delite and few others and He ignore them all, Bloody Hell. Next pellets I am ordering are Ocean Free AR-G2 haha. I am never giving up till he eats pellets. Thank you.

Regards,
Additya

bAnjar_RED_2

Feeder Fish
Jun 6, 2018
Haha no bro, I live in incredible India. Btw he is in community tank now and I am feeding Hikari bio gold and hikari bio gold plus there. Thanks to you I am certain now that there is nothing wrong with the pellets it’s just he is being stubborn and not eating them. Other fishes attack them as soon it hits the water, maybe that behaviour is attracting him too but he still ignore them but he also becomes bit excited at feeding time and after releasing that its pellets he starts to ignore them again. I think I need to starve him for long time. Pellets I have tried till now are Hikari sticks, Azoo 9 in 1 sticks, Inch gold sticks, Azoo carnivore sticks, hikari Massivore delite and few others and He ignore them all, Bloody Hell. Next pellets I am ordering are Ocean Free AR-G2 haha. I am never giving up till he eats pellets. Thank you.

Regards,
Additya

Have you success in pellet training adithya!?

WHT u did to make him eat pellet!???
Even I'm facing same pro. Rgt now stuff prawns with hikari food stick

Some he spit out pellets, mostly he take along with prawn
I learned that sera arowana sticks have 40 % fish meal and tetra arowana have 50 % fish meal

I m gonna give them next that only

What are you feeding him!? Now!?

Regards

Gowtham S

Addi_13

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2016
Have you success in pellet training adithya!?

WHT u did to make him eat pellet!???
Even I'm facing same pro. Rgt now stuff prawns with hikari food stick

Some he spit out pellets, mostly he take along with prawn
I learned that sera arowana sticks have 40 % fish meal and tetra arowana have 50 % fish meal

I m gonna give them next that only

What are you feeding him!? Now!?

Regards

Gowtham S
Hey Bro,

I starved him for 25 days and he completely ignored pellets then I had to go on a business trip for a week so I finally gave up and feed him prawns. I have never feed him live but I am sure he would love it. I have tried over 10 brands of pellets (even the ones with shrimp meal) and I have tried every method there on internet like I introduced schooling fish, inserted pellets into prawns, starved him, tried many other methods but all failed.

I even kept him in separate tank just for pellet training and still it was useless. But honestly the method which kind of worked for me was when I reintroduced him in the 340 gallon cichlid community tank. What I do is, I mix the dried shrimps in cichlid pellets (Hikari Gold, Bio Gold plus, Tetrabits) and then drop the food together and because he loves dried shrimp, he attacks the food and ends up eating some of those pellets too. I really think the problem was that before he didn't knew that pellets was food. Still he takes some pellets in the mouth and tries to eat them but spits them out. I feed him market prawns 2 days a week and 3 days I feed him dried shrimp, 2 days are break. He is slowly turning into monster now, he now dominates the tank too, even bigger fishes are scared of him, he has gained 3" in last 3 months. My plans is to starve him for 10 days now and feed only pellets and nothing else because he knows now pellets is food but just cant chew them as small round pellets are like little stones for him. I am waiting till he grows up as then he wont need to chew up the pellets that much, he will just gulp them.

I am now going to mix Hikari carnisticks with cichlid food and dried shrimp and keep feeding that for 1-2 months. the moment he will eat the Hikari carnisticks I will stop feeding him anything else. i have tried that method with freeze dried mealworm, Initially he never used to eat them but by mixing them in cichlid food, he have realised that its food and now loves it. You just need to keep finding different ways till you succeed.

Its really gets hard but dont give up, sooner or later youll find a way, every arowana is diffrent. It took me 2-3 months to finally find this method, now he is growing up and showing more colours. I have attached few recent pictures below, if you wish to know more and would like to watch a feeding video then message me on whatsapp number mentioned below. Good luck bro, have a great day.

Regards,
Additya
(+91) 9899633691

53172381-fcd2-4c75-89cb-6de5b43a7ca8.JPG f9459874-545e-4171-a474-b97c00475b7a.JPG IMG_1697.jpg IMG_E3891.JPG IMG_E3893.JPG IMG_E3897.JPG IMG_E3898.JPG IMG_E3899.JPG IMG_E3902.JPG IMG_E3905.JPG IMG_E3909.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store