What predator hap do you suggest?

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
do they not eat their own fry?
i thought fish eat their own fry
Fish will if they have the chance. That being said, rift lake cichlids like mbuna seem bad at catching fry which hides in nooks and crannies the mbuna can't fit into. This is why in both lakes malawi and tanganyika, there have been fish specialized to eat fry for example, melanochromis in malawi and altolamprologus and lepidolamprologus in tanganyika the issue is that many fish in both lepidolamprologus and melanochromis aren't very suited for a rift lake community.

Santiago 210

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2021
What do you think about one synodontis angelicus × eupterus and 1 frontosa, both I believe are night hunters. Can they survive ok as single specimans.
I have to consider what is available way down here. Perhaps not perfect solution, thoughts?
Thanks

nzeng1111

Exodon
MFK Member
May 18, 2020
What do you think about one synodontis angelicus × eupterus and 1 frontosa, both I believe are night hunters. Can they survive ok as single specimans.
I have to consider what is available way down here. Perhaps not perfect solution, thoughts?
Thanks
No to a single frontosa. A single tretocephalus or sexfasciatus look somewhat like mini frontosa can work as a subsitute and take out small fish in the meantime. They are like mini frontosas. Don't get a pair though as they could be a bit too aggressive for your tank. The syno seems fine.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My hands down favorite out of all the predatory haps.....Champsochromis caerulius!

Reactions: BigBeardDaHuZi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store