What to feed angelfish fry

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I think I’ll clip the leaf tomorrow and add it to a smaller 10 gallon and start hard boiling eggs and mashing up pellets. Should I use a mallet and just wack them in like a ziplock bag until fine or is there a better method? I think I’ll be using massivores

Trevor Greenfield

Feeder Fish
Mar 20, 2018
Hey guys,

my angels have spawned multiple times this past month, but the fry never get past the free swimming stage. Every time they are gone, possibly from angel parents and other inhabitants eating them. I've recently set up a small 10 gallon fry tank and they just laid eggs. After they are fertilized, should I take the eggs out or wait for them to develop into wigglers. Finally, and most importantly, what can i feed them. I've heard baby brine shrimp is the best, but i've never bred them (while I do have a brine shrimp hatchery, I've never used it). Can I feed them more prepared foods like flakes, egg yolk, or hikari fry food?

Thanks,
Ray
Hi Ray,
When I'm suddenly caught out with a new batch of fry and don't have brine shrimp on the go I use instant baby brine shrimp from Ocean Nutrition which you can get from Amazon.

Image1.jpg

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Wow your one angel with the black spots almost looks exactly like my male from my breeding pair.
Long Losts twins lol. Btw do you know what breed they are? Some of mine have really red heads and don’t look like marble or koi (although I know these strains are all the same scalares species)

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Long Losts twins lol. Btw do you know what breed they are? Some of mine have really red heads and don’t look like marble or koi (although I know these strains are all the same scalares species)
As far as I can tell the one that looks like mine is most likely a yellow marble while the other one looks to be a gold pearl scale.

Granted tho, like ya said, they're just fancy names for the different color morphs. Sometimes you'll find some hybrids for sale. Seen a few koi x leopoldi angel crosses that looked nice. They kept part of the leopoldi pattern on their backs and just turned the spots bright red.

This here is my pair, hard to get good pics in this tank. They had their first batch of eggs last week but they laid them on the filter intake tube so I lost the whole clutch in the end. Going to be removing the pair from this tank and moving em into their own 35g tall by themselves.

IMG_20201109_220251390.jpg

IMG_20201109_220222040_HDR.jpg

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
As far as I can tell the one that looks like mine is most likely a yellow marble while the other one looks to be a gold pearl scale.

Granted tho, like ya said, they're just fancy names for the different color morphs. Sometimes you'll find some hybrids for sale. Seen a few koi x leopoldi angel crosses that looked nice. They kept part of the leopoldi pattern on their backs and just turned the spots bright red.

This here is my pair, hard to get good pics in this tank. They had their first batch of eggs last week but they laid them on the filter intake tube so I lost the whole clutch in the end. Going to be removing the pair from this tank and moving em into their own 35g tall by themselves.

View attachment 1438998

View attachment 1438999
Gorgeous angels and yeah that make looks just like mine lol. Btw the recent batch they laid were gone tonight and I’m not sure why. I’ll probably remove them earlier since the tank has 10 angels is way to many If I want to do any sort of breeding.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Update! The last batch of eggs were eaten by the parents but today I found my other pair laying them. I added a “suction cupped” tube for them to lay eggs on but they chose the corner of my glass ???. I’m wondering if there anyway to remove these eggs after they fertilize or anyway to remove wigglers (if they survive to then) since I want to raise the fry lol. Here are pics. It’s hard to focus on it but hopefully it’s viewable.

1726AE58-10AC-47C4-8574-3E81E40A708F.jpeg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Update! The last batch of eggs were eaten by the parents but today I found my other pair laying them. I added a “suction cupped” tube for them to lay eggs on but they chose the corner of my glass ???. I’m wondering if there anyway to remove these eggs after they fertilize or anyway to remove wigglers (if they survive to then) since I want to raise the fry lol. Here are pics. It’s hard to focus on it but hopefully it’s viewable.

View attachment 1439606
If they turn into wrigglers I would recommend using a turkey baster to suck em out.

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
If they turn into wrigglers I would recommend using a turkey baster to suck em out.
Okay sounds good. I think I have one of those lying around lol. If I add a HOB filter onto like a 5 gallon holding tank will the flow be too much? Do they want a lot of flow or less flow. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store