Where can i find garnet sand?

What is the best color sand for bichirs?

• Total voters

Mikeshadow4k

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
I have been scouring the internet for red or garnet sand for my bichirs and eels.I haven't been able to find it and I wanted to help bring out my bichirs colors by switching my substrate from white sand to either red,black or brown sand.What is also a good 'size or grit' of sand for bichirs?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I have been scouring the internet for red or garnet sand for my bichirs and eels.I haven't been able to find it and I wanted to help bring out my bichirs colors by switching my substrate from white sand to either red,black or brown sand.What is also a good 'size or grit' of sand for bichirs?
Search barton garnet sand, they have a website and you can call them to see if they supply your area.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Any grit above 40 will be too fine. They'll stick to your polys slime coat. You'll see more get sucked into your filter intakes. Therefore, a chance of ruining your impellar. Garnet Sand is heavy enough to stay down while vacuuming.

What U.S. state or country are u in? Sandblasting and abrasive companies will carry garnet.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I am in Texas right now. Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683

Texas is a large state. Maybe this abrasive network will have the brand Barton. Which is a red garnet. From their web site. It looks like they carry the emerald creek Idaho purple garnet. I'm using the 36 grit.

http://clemtex.com/contactus/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store