Which mbuna is this?

Ankit Naidu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2016
i got this from my lfs. He said it's a butterfly mbuna but I didn't find anything about them online! Can u guys please help me ID this!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Interesting looking fish. Doesn't look mbuna to me. Maybe some derivative of a peacock?

Reactions: Ankit Naidu

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Butterfly mbuna? This is exactly why many people who keep African cichlids hate hybrids, and despise common names. It's also why most serious breeders/hobbyists buy wild caught fish, or F1 offspring of same, with provenance back to a known collection location.

Not because they are all anal, but because most people have been stung buying fish of unknown genetics, only to realize it later. The only Malawi cichlid that I know to be commonly referred to as "butterfly" is the Aulonocara jacobfreibergi, and your fish is not a jacobfreibergi. Good luck.

Reactions: stempy

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I believe that greed is driving the sell of these less than great quality hybrids.

Look I have nothing against hybrids when it's done correctly. Like the flowerhorn market. You know that you don't know what you're getting when you buy a flowerhorn. If that makes sense.

But when I see fish stores and breeders selling these mutts as some new breed of Africans :mad: .I agree with stempy I cringe to think about the future of Africans in the hobby.

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
Yea some kind of peacock hybrid. A little off topic, but keep an eye on the auratus (striped fish in third pic) as your fish mature. They become quite the handful

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store