Blu TThe Blue Lobster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2018
I am new to this community - Hello all.

I have a question about my electric blue crayfish.

I purchased my blue "lobster" from Petco several months ago. She was doing great and enjoying roaming the community tank until one day she started hiding a lot and stopped eating. (I now realize she had buried herself and arranged the rocks to prepare for pregnancy.) My mistake was that I then transferred her to her own tank with a bubbler for more oxygenation thinking she was not fond of the tank mates and that it wasn't getting enough circulation. She immediately reburied herself in the new (already cycled) tank which is the first time I saw she had at least 100 brown eggs on her tail. They continued to grow for another week before she aborted the brood. They got a little lighter in color but never saw eyes. Do you think that happened because she was transferred during her pregnancy? I had the water tested and it was good. I now read how you shouldn't move them with eggs and that it is normal they become lethargic the 3-4 weeks during pregnancy. Will this effect future pregnancies?

And what's the difference between an Electric Blue Crayfish sold in stores as "Blue Lobster" and the self-cloning Blue Marble Crayfish. I read some articles talking about male and female blue crayfish and other articles refer to the blue crayfish as self-cloning, all female species. I was sold an "Electric Blue Lobster" but I think it was really a blue marble crayfish because she laid eggs without a partner 3 months after getting her. So are they the same thing or is there a difference?

Thanks for the info!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Do you have a picture of yours?
The difference will be one needs both a male and a female to breed and the other doesn’t.
Mine need both a male and female and were sold as blue lobsters.
From what I’ve read, since I’m new to keep these myself, is that the male will insert a sperm plug on the female. She will then use it when she is ready to lay eggs. So yours may have already been exposed to a male before you got her if she isn’t of the marble variety.
If yours is a marble self clowning, a picture would help. When I did a quick google search they seem to like different from one another even though they are both blue.

Blu TThe Blue Lobster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2018
Do you have a picture of yours?
The difference will be one needs both a male and a female to breed and the other doesn’t.
Mine need both a male and female and were sold as blue lobsters.
From what I’ve read, since I’m new to keep these myself, is that the male will insert a sperm plug on the female. She will then use it when she is ready to lay eggs. So yours may have already been exposed to a male before you got her if she isn’t of the marble variety.
If yours is a marble self clowning, a picture would help. When I did a quick google search they seem to like different from one another even though they are both blue.
L1.png L2.png L3.jpeg L4.jpeg

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
That is not a self cloning crayfish. You will need a male. Anything that lays eggs can and will lay eggs when they are ready male or no male. The eggs wont hatch with out the male though. Some species can hold sperm for a long time and fertilize the eggs when they choose like guppies, once a female guppie has sperm she is good to have multiple batches of babies. So just because there were eggs doesn't mean they were fertilized. Which is probably why she got rid of them.

Blu TThe Blue Lobster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2018
That is not a self cloning crayfish. You will need a male. Anything that lays eggs can and will lay eggs when they are ready male or no male. The eggs wont hatch with out the male though. Some species can hold sperm for a long time and fertilize the eggs when they choose like guppies, once a female guppie has sperm she is good to have multiple batches of babies. So just because there were eggs doesn't mean they were fertilized. Which is probably why she got rid of them.
Thank you for the info. How could you tell she is a blue crayfish and not a blue marbled crayfish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store