My new betta tank ;)

Is this looking good for a first tropical tank?

• Total voters

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
hey guys. this thread is about me and my soon to get betta fish.

This 5gal tank is one we had a few years back but put away after my parents put it away (8 years maybe) and have cleaned and repaired the tank for use
i started cycling the media a few days ago with seachem stability using the built in filter.
Here is the initial setup i made today ;) (a bit blurry) with seachem fluorite substrate
upload_2016-3-19_21-44-49.jpeg
the filter
upload_2016-3-19_21-45-39.jpeg
right now there are some unidentified plants (id maybe?) and will put some floating and carpet plants in when the lfs gets some. they also have some rad bettas.

quick question, will i be able to keep 2/3 leopard danios with the betta when i get him?

Will update again on monday.

Reactions: Frank Castle

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
tank is too small for danios imo. he also probably won't make much use of the clay pot. id replace it with a tall plant.

Reactions: Hendre and FMA4ME

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
OK, will keep the guy by himself.
The pot supports the driftwood and looks nice, tall plants are coming when the LFS gets them

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I like it! Other suitable tankmates for Bettas might be but not limited to Corydoras, Ottocinctus, Banjo Catfish, and I like the ghost shrimp idea too

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Try some orange line guppies or red picta
Would any other Guppy's work, or would the Betta attack them?
I like it! Other suitable tankmates for Bettas might be but not limited to Corydoras, Ottocinctus, Banjo Catfish, and I like the ghost shrimp idea too
Do Cory's not need a group of 5? That is too many for a small tank like this.

I also put some pellets in the tank to add ammonia to the water and help cycle the tank

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Only reason I mentioned the dwarf Poecilia species is to conserve space. There is potential for conflicts with Betta but a small school can work. Really a better tank mate would be 5 pygmy Corydora. Only reason I even recommend other tank mates is you have a decent filtration system.

Hendre Hendre

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store