SMALL MOUTH BASS

FUE XIONG

Feeder Fish
Jul 7, 2015
I just caught a small mouth bass and introduced it to my tank that has a black wolf and a Oscar. The black wolf is about 7" and the Oscar is about 5" and the small mouth is 8"

The smb was so aggressive that it beat up the Oscar and the wolf fish.. I was surprised! it was so mean I had to remove the bass.

Anyone has a smb in their aquarium?? experience?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've had mine now for about 1.5yr. I caught it when it was less than 4". It first resided with only a bullhead, of similar size, and it never bother the BH at all. Now, at a little over a foot long, its residing with the same BH, a pumpkinseed, and 2 lmb of similar size. There's no hostility in the tank at all.....thus far.IMG_0799.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: The True Guapote

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ive kept them and they are far more interesting than largemouths. they are definitely aggressive but never had the hardware to do much damage to the tank mates I kept them with. They are fun though, good eaters, super active at the top of the water.

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
What size tank is recommended for these guys? Not sure what the growth rate is or max size in aquaria.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What size tank is recommended for these guys? Not sure what the growth rate is or max size in aquaria.
In the wild, smb can reach over 10lb and over 2' long. So, in captivity, I would guess, it will probably get to about 70% of this potential. IMO a 180 would be a minimum for a single smb.

Reactions: JoeBoxer

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Remember MFK doesn't support any illegal fish keeping. Most states do not allow bass to be kept under 10-12", so You guys may want to stop talking about this if you are indeed keeping under-sized fish illegally. Oddball Oddball

AR577

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2014
N.America
Remember MFK doesn't support any illegal fish keeping. Most states do not allow bass to be kept under 10-12", so You guys may want to stop talking about this if you are indeed keeping under-sized fish illegally. Oddball Oddball
Lots of states allow you to buy fish from breeders and fishires of any size and keep it. The people here have to stop accusing people of breaking the law over nothing more then a holier then thou attitude. No one asked you legal advice and no one said anything about breaking a law.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Lots of states allow you to buy fish from breeders and fishires of any size and keep it. The people here have to stop accusing people of breaking the law over nothing more then a holier then thou attitude. No one asked you legal advice and no one said anything about breaking a law.
What's your point?

AR577

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2014
N.America
What's your point?
That no one gives a crap about your unsolicited legal advice and you accusations of people being criminals. We should welcome people to this site and native fish keeping. Not be a doushe and start crap.

The site is better off with out your rude accusations and legal advice.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That no one gives a crap about your unsolicited legal advice and you accusations of people being criminals. We should welcome people to this site and native fish keeping. Not be a doushe and start crap.

The site is better off with out your rude accusations and legal advice.
I didn't accuse anyone of anything, I simply gave advice to people who MAY or may NOT be guilty of doing so.

Feel free to re-read my post. Better me saying it to you than a Law Official. if anything you should be saying "Good lookin' out, thaks for the heads-up"

Making up stuff and putting words into peoples' mouths isn't helping anyone either.

MIND YOU, the Staff can see your IP address and knows exactly what state you are in and whether or not you are keeping fish you're not supposed to be.

Like I said, if you're doing it, you might want to stop TALKING about it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store