xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I noticed a few days ago my zig zag eel had a bit of discoloration on him, then today I did a water change and noticed 1 of my clown loaches and a few ruby red barbs have like very small bubble like thing throughout their body, is this ich? If so what is the best way to treat it and how dangerous is treating it to my fish?

I just got my eel eating bloodworms and my african butterflyfish eating flakes ( a miracle I know ) so loosing either of those would be terrible for me and on top of that I have my bichir which is the whole reason I got the tank. Please help.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should look like white dots on the body but not so much bubbles.

Post a pic and it should help. Eel and loaches will be sensitive to Meds and salt. Heat will help for sure.

Reactions: Bandit87

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Near impossible to get a good pic but I'm 99% sure it's ich, I raised the temp on my heater to 86 (it's doesn't read exact so it should reach around 82 83 ish, ) I'm gonna try salt tomorrow wen it get a chance to pick some up, how much should it use since eel would be sensitive to it?

The only fish that I see that have the white dots are the loaches and barbs, I have a feeling my synodontis has it but it's hard to get a good look at him

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I also added a 4 inch air stone for more airation on top of my sponge filter, I'm really trying to avoid medication

bing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
I don't think you can avoid medication. It's a fact of life.

o5b0rn3b

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pittsburgh
You don't need to medicate for ich. Salt and warm water does the trick more often than not. Severe cases should be medicated.

Reactions: Bandit87

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
You don't need to medicate for ich. Salt and warm water does the trick more often than not. Severe cases should be medicated.
So use salt even tho my eel won't fair to well wit it? And how much should I use? The temp is at 83 right now I plan on getting salt later wen I can

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
use paraguard....salt I find to be far more detrimental than that medication on scaleless fish. I've used both methods but my loaches and catfish tend to flash frequently when using salt instead of just using paraguard.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
So use salt even tho my eel won't fair to well wit it? And how much should I use? The temp is at 83 right now I plan on getting salt later wen I can
Are eels one of the fish that don't do too well with medication either?
"Damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of situation?

Reactions: o5b0rn3b
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store