Couple gulper questions

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
Had them a little over a week now, can't get shrimp until this weekend but how long should I go with them not eating ( assuming they don't eat this weekend ) before I just get feeders?

I have 6 neon tetras in there they still havnt ate, so could I get more or do you think they'd eventually become food?

I just read they like current so I was looking at a powerhead... brands? And how many gph (55 gallon tank)

Would a powerhead be bad for the neons?

How about plants? I'm adding sand after iv seen they've been eating for a couple weeks and would like to have at least a couple here and there. (Hardy Plant suggestions appreciated :) )

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My gulper experience is nothing impressive but I'll try.

Had them a little over a week now, can't get shrimp until this weekend but how long should I go with them not eating ( assuming they don't eat this weekend ) before I just get feeders?
*****If they are in good shape, gulpers can fast a month easy and much longer if necessary. I'd never offer them live feeders.

I have 6 neon tetras in there they still havnt ate, so could I get more or do you think they'd eventually become food?
*****I think it's a gamble. They may or may not leave them alone. It would appear the bigger the gulpers grow, the higher the chance of them leaving the neons and other tiny tank mates alone but I'd not think anybody could guarantee that.

I just read they like current so I was looking at a powerhead... brands? And how many gph (55 gallon tank)
*****They do like swimming around but in the high current, at least not my trio. Mine swim around the high current areas. I think they need an area of calm water too, perhaps best to provide their hide right there.

*****I'd think not if there are areas where the current is not strong.

How about plants? I'm adding sand after iv seen they've been eating for a couple weeks and would like to have at least a couple here and there. (Hardy Plant suggestions appreciated
*****Plants are nice for tank safety and looks. Guplers appear indifferent to the plants, meaning they don't eat them, destroy, or uproot them. Being a hiding fish, they may appreciate the plants for cover too.

Three recent threads and some links therein might help further:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...y-way-to-keep-something-with-a-gulper.684444/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/potential-gulper-catfish-tank-mates.683447/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/my-gulper-catfish-asterophysus-batrachus.681329/

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
My gulper experience is nothing impressive but I'll try.

*****If they are in good shape, gulpers can fast a month easy and much longer if necessary. I'd never offer them live feeders.

*****I think it's a gamble. They may or may not leave them alone. It would appear the bigger the gulpers grow, the higher the chance of them leaving the neons and other tiny tank mates alone but I'd not think anybody could guarantee that.

*****They do like swimming around but in the high current, at least not my trio. Mine swim around the high current areas. I think they need an area of calm water too, perhaps best to provide their hide right there.

*****I'd think not if there are areas where the current is not strong.

How about plants? I'm adding sand after iv seen they've been eating for a couple weeks and would like to have at least a couple here and there. (Hardy Plant suggestions appreciated
*****Plants are nice for tank safety and looks. Guplers appear indifferent to the plants, meaning they don't eat them, destroy, or uproot them. Being a hiding fish, they may appreciate the plants for cover too.

Three recent threads and some links therein might help further:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...y-way-to-keep-something-with-a-gulper.684444/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/potential-gulper-catfish-tank-mates.683447/

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/my-gulper-catfish-asterophysus-batrachus.681329/

Awesome! The gulpers are close to 4 inche's and the neon's are pretty small so I think I'll be okay, as for feeding them as far as I can tell they look to be fairly healthy, one of them has a dorsal fin that's been cut it half by something idk tho it was like that when I got. I'm gonna start looking fir a powerhead soon so hopefully they'll be a but more active, thanks for the reply u answered all my questions :) and sorry for putting post in wrong area and thanks to whoever moved it

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've reread my words and couldn't understand what I was saying. Sorry. I meant to say mine appear to appreciate the high current but they do not swim right in it, only around it as well as in areas farther from the high current.

You can see their body shape is not hydrodynamic and their swimming is somewhat wobbly, kind of cute in its clumsiness. They have a hydrodynamics of a hippopotamus. They'd be swept away if they got into a strong current but again my trio likes to swim and play just outside of the strong current a lot of the time.

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I've reread my words and couldn't understand what I was saying. Sorry. I meant to say mine appear to appreciate the high current but they do not swim right in it, only around it as well as in areas farther from the high current.

You can see their body shape is not hydrodynamic and their swimming is somewhat wobbly, kind of cute in its clumsiness. They have a hydrodynamics of a hippopotamus. They'd be swept away if they got into a strong current but again my trio likes to swim and play just outside of the strong current a lot of the time.

Do you recommend aNY powerheads? Iv never used one so idk how powerful to get for 55

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'm not much of a powerhead user, only dabbled in them. I think they are rated somewhat to tank size. I use Marineland 1200 or some such for a 240 gal, also 900. I ordered 6 of 1200, and returned 5, having found them to make an objectionable noise. Just a beware.

The first number is the GPH I think, so one would probably go by the turnover number - GPH divided by tank volume. I'd probably try ~5x-10x turnover.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store