GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
Hey guys I would love some help figuring out how to build my sump. My tank will house an Asian Arowana with possible discus and a ray or eel. The tank is going to be 84x30x28 with a 3 foot external ghost overflow at the back coupled with Bean Animal drains and two returns. I would like to go as strait forward and easy on the maintenance if possible. Likely 3 chamber with socks, bio balls etc from what I have read but I'm a noob and pretty lost. Here are my questions:

1) how big of an aquarium do I need for the sump (would like to use a standard aquarium)
2) how to properly do the chambers and how many/how big each should be
3) what's a good pump for my tank and especially quiet
4) what media is best and in which order
5) where do all the drains and returns and emergency sump drain go (ie which chamber and how high off the bottom
6) how much water do I put in it
7) where to put heaters and pumps (have two 20" heaters and would like a backup pump)

I realize this looks like a lot but from what I have seen you guys are insanely knowledgeable with this stuff and it will hopefully be easy for you haha. Treat me like a baby and also I have 4ft x 7ft of room under my tank and almost unlimited space behind it.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
For the tank, you will get the best results with a 125. It's long, slender and not too tall. However, a 75 should be ok, but I'd prefer not to see less than a 90.

For pumps, I strongly recommend the Jebao DCP pumps. They are super quiet and they have super fine adjustability, which really helps fine tune your overflow so it stays in siphon.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Gonna get lots of opinion lol with the baffles... they really arent needed unless you have a purpose for them.

Media imo os all the same i use matrix some use plain old pumice stones.

I too like the jebao pumps.

The water level in the sump needs to ne low enough to handle and back flow from the returns when you turn the sytem off. No real answer here. You'll know when you set the sump uo and tinker a bit. Start low...maybe half way filled turn the pumps off... turn them back on...add a couple of inches of water and keep repeating, mark the levels with tape

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I would suggest looking into fluidized media. K1 or similar. It's by far the most efficient and zero maintenance. That will effect baffle placement and you'll need a strong air pump. The only downside I can think of besides price is that k1 takes longer to cycle than other types of media

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid . Any thoughts/suggestions. Your pretty well versed on sump set up

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You should just do canisters...soooo much easier....rotfl
STOP OR HE'LL FIND THIS THREAD !!!
I would suggest looking into fluidized media. K1 or similar. It's by far the most efficient and zero maintenance. That will effect baffle placement and you'll need a strong air pump. The only downside I can think of besides price is that k1 takes longer to cycle than other types of media
Whats the run down on K1 never used it.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I personally just like submerged media. Ceramic rings are my personal choice, but there are many other good options. You could just get a bunch of lava rock and put it in laundry sacks. Super cheap and very effective.

Baffles are definitely something to put some thought into. If you don't want them then you don't need them. However, if you want to have some chambers, go for it. I have chambers in mine because I like the idea of forcing the water to travel through the media. However, lots of people on here run successful setups with no baffles.

Reactions: GoldFinger

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Ok, I'll tackle another one...I always put my heaters in the chamber with the pump, or pumps, if you run 2 (a good idea) good that your running more than one heater also.

Reactions: GoldFinger
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store