GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
I also like submerged media, I put it in mesh bags, which makes it easy to remove and rinse or shake out. As to type, media is just a surface for beneficial bacteria to grow on, rings, lava rock, Scrubbies, the difference is minimal.
I find baffles to be restrictive, and of no use, especially as your expertise and evolution grows they just get in the way, and inhibit change.
You may at some point want to use plants or other types of filtration, and baffles get in the way.
For mechanical I use filter socks, and easy clean, easy maintenance choice.
Would you mind elaborating on where you put everything? The socks go on the drain pipes themself right? Do you put the media bags along the bottom near the middle with the heaters above and pumps to the right etc ....

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I don't think having baffles or no baffles is better than the other. It's a preference as to how you want to run your sump. Having baffles does not restrict what i have to do in anyway based on what i have.

Do your research, and decide what YOU prefer.

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
I don't think having baffles or no baffles is better than the other. It's a preference as to how you want to run your sump. Having baffles does not restrict what i have to do in anyway based on what i have.

Do your research, and decide what YOU prefer.
Do you get air bubbles as a result of no baffles?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Do you get air bubbles as a result of no baffles?
I run sumps with and without baffles, depending on the particular set-up. No problem with bubbles at all. That's more common with saltwater which you can easily rectify with double baffles. Another thing I've done with open sumps with no baffles is to run a wavemaker pushing water the opposite direction of flow to get good circulation thru the media. This seems to work well. Typically I do run baffles tho, it works best for the types of media and mechanical filtration I use. Lot's of options with a sump! Really is a lot of ways to get the same results...high water quality

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
In the process of hunting down a used 75-90 gallon tank for the sump but would still like more input. If the drains go in the first chamber about 1/4-1/2" below water level based on BA method, would you still have room for socks to catch sediment? Are they necessary? I'm thinking chamber one drains and socks with some media followed by second chamber with heaters and more media (bio balls? Lava rock? Liquid?) and final chamber pumps. Is this too much or too little and in a proper order? What would you recommend? Are chambers worth the hassle otherwise how would it all be configured in one big space? Finally do you guys recommend the added baffles for air bubble removal between chambers? Thanks fish masters!
Maybe post a sketch of what you are planning and let us critique? Bubbles aren't a problem so long as they don't interfere with your return pump. I've run sumps with/without baffles. If you are going to using a fluidized media, I think you'll want to use baffles to control where the media goes. Some people like to keep fish in their sumps to temporarily isolate them (i.e. they use the sump both as a filter and a refugium), and baffles are handy if you want to do that.

I also like submerged media, I put it in mesh bags, which makes it easy to remove and rinse or shake out. As to type, media is just a surface for beneficial bacteria to grow on, rings, lava rock, Scrubbies, the difference is minimal.
I find baffles to be restrictive, and of no use, especially as your expertise and evolution grows they just get in the way, and inhibit change.
You may at some point want to use plants or other types of filtration, and baffles get in the way.
For mechanical I use filter socks, and easy clean, easy maintenance choice.
I'm a scrubby guy :D I think they are a great if you're keeping cichlids. Maybe not the best choice for the fish the OP wants to keep.
https://www.dollartree.com/Cleaning...bers-4-ct-Packs/1470c501c508p358288/index.pro

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Jk47 had a great idea on his build thread I'm going to borrow. Using wedged matala sheets as baffles. Then you just pull out to remove. Slide around. Very temporary.

I also have commitment issues

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Jk47 had a great idea on his build thread I'm going to borrow. Using wedged matala sheets as baffles. Then you just pull out to remove. Slide around. Very temporary.

That is a good idea! I too have problems with being happy with the way things are...the more I look at something I built, I start coming up with better ideas and end up ripping it all apart qnandd building something else!

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ

You can also use reticulated foam as a barrier. Swiss tropicals sells sheets of it... added benefit of the foam is that it has more surface area for bio-film than matala... down-side is cost.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Hey Grinch Grinch is that poret foam or another product from Swiss?

I use thick 4" 30ppi and 45ppi poret in diy 55gal drum filters. But never thunk of using in this application :)

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH

Oh yeah, I remember that. As soon as I saw that I thought to myself, "I know how I'm doing my next sump."

Can we get some pictures of that setup again so we can suggest it to the OP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store