Branching out challenge

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I believe they have one at a museum a few hrs away from me. I am planning to visit over the winter months. Will take pics if they do.
That would be great! I have been fascinated by Coelacanths for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: PGJE and Matteus

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
IKR. The fact they are still alive is super impressive. When I saw them last I freaked out but everyone around me was “like wtf it’s an ugly fish”. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Absolutely,I have heard of a few being caught off the coast of North Africa.
20181011_114015.jpg
....trying to get this little guy onto massavore:).

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's not illegal you just need to meet the states requirements to keep the species. Like in PA panfish ( sunfish, perch, crappie) have no size restrictions on 98% of all bodies of water excpet panfish enhanced lakes which do. So you can collect up to 50 a day at any size you want for an aquarium. Now take PA bass for example. Bass sometimes in the year are 15" minimum and others 12" and from April to Mid June closed. So you'd have to work around the time of year you wanted to collect and collect the proper minimum size. Next issue would be you'd need the aquarium to meet the size requirement of an already large fish.

Now if the fish is from a hatchery the size requirement is out the window.
oh, didn't know that, either way it would be difficult, you'd have to find the laws then get the fish and make sure the laws work for that, then you need an aquarium set up appropriate for that fish

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Viper I challenge you to actually get a fish tank and keep any of those fish you mentioned.
I can legally keep everything on that list, out here I simply get a free pond permit for game fish, also keep in mind each state has a list of game fish check yours.

Unfortunately I just renewed my apartment lease for another year, so nothing gigantic till I get the house, might do a shovelnose sturgeon growout tho, MrsE88 MrsE88 they tolerate warm water and should be available soon.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Yeah the fish listed are a little bit of a head scratcher the list is not realistic and most are game fish. Unless they're farmed for stocking or food, legally a lot would be tough to keep. Even finding a source for burbot and arctic char would be impossible. Then to keep a tank up to species standards with temperatures in the 40s is a challenge in itself.
many of these can be had fairly easy, just put in effort, legally in most states these fish can be kept, for example most warm states don't consider Arctic char gamefish,
The problem isn't that they aren't available or legal, it's just that you don't think they're available or legal.

Reactions: Matteus

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
many of these can be had fairly easy, just put in effort, legally in most states these fish can be kept, for example most warm states don't consider Arctic char gamefish,
The problem isn't that they aren't available or legal, it's just that you don't think they're available or legal.
I’d love to see your source for burbot and if they’re so easy to get why does no one have them ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store