Help with setting up a tank.

Fguinan

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2019
d

do you mean like a water hose to get rid of access water if necessary?
No.... from your diagram the pipe from the display to the sump is near the bottom of the aquarium- so if the return pump is stopped the display will drain down to this level.

Reactions: Matteus

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
No.... from your diagram the pipe from the display to the sump is near the bottom of the aquarium- so if the return pump is stopped the display will drain down to this level.
ooh but i said: 'dont mind all the weird direction the (green) water hose goes. its just an example of what i had in my head.'
but thanks. i do know that. :)

Reactions: Fguinan

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
im planning on building this. Any tips or advice?
And then i plan to put the fluval fx next to the sump just connected to the tank.

I had some questions.

How do i know how much the outflow should be of the sump?
(i read 6x times the liters of the sump but i dont know if thats true)

Do i need an airpump for the bio filter media?

The sump is 80longx45highx35cm do i need the fluval for bioload? I have never had a sump, i heard that they are amazing but are they amazing enough to filter 4 bichirs and 2 turtles and maybe more in 200liter? If thats the case i would like to keep the fluval out of the picture since the noise is freaking annoying.

Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 15.22.34.png

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Sump setup looks good. Put a ball valve in the return line from the sump so u can adjust flow to what your tank overflow can handle. Try it without the fx6, watch your parameters, add fx6 if needed. And i am a fan of air pumps to fluidize bio media, that way it cleans itself.

Reactions: Matteus and neko1

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
d
Sump setup looks good. Put a ball valve in the return line from the sump so u can adjust flow to what your tank overflow can handle. Try it without the fx6, watch your parameters, add fx6 if needed. And i am a fan of air pumps to fluidize bio media, that way it cleans itself.
do you think the ball valve is needed if i place the 'in' to the sump high enough in the tank as seen in the picture. This way if the tank is drained it can only drain a small bit.
Im more worried about the pump pumping to much water in the tank then the otherway around.

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
d

do you think the ball valve is needed if i place the 'in' to the sump high enough in the tank as seen in the picture. This way if the tank is drained it can only drain a small bit.
Im more worried about the pump pumping to much water in the tank then the otherway around.
Exactly. U want the ball valve in the return line from the sump back to the tank, that way if your overflow from the tank to the sump does not handle the flow of the pump u will be able to turn down the flow accordingly.

Reactions: Matteus and neko1

Fguinan

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2019
d

Without a valve to regulate the overflow the system will work but will be very loud!

With the value ( and an emergency drain) you can regulate the flow through the pipe to match the return pump.

I have always used a herbie overflow... its completely silent once the valve is set correctly.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
  • Wow
Reactions: neko1

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Without a valve to regulate the overflow the system will work but will be very loud!

With the value ( and an emergency drain) you can regulate the flow through the pipe to match the return pump.

I have always used a herbie overflow... its completely silent once the valve is set correctly.
how exactly will it be louder without overflow? I dont see the reason why without overflow it would be louder

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store