Help with setting up a tank.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
80cm x 80cm x 30cm is about 30x30x12high in inches. About 50 gallons of water. That is what you are talking about, correct?
To me the mix of
-polypterus senegalus (2x)
-polypterus delhezi (2x)
-climbing perch (1x)
- pao palembangensis /Dragon puffer (1x)
musk turtles (2x

would be way to many fish in quite a small tank. In my opinion the tank is too small even for just your 2 musk turtles. May be okay with the extra water volume of the sump, but I wouldn't be trying to keep multiple large fish in with them (or any fish to be honest)
Delhezi can get quite large, even senegalus make a good amt of waste. I think you will need to choose fish or turtles, and if you go fish, you will need at least a 75 gallon 48x18 for the fish you have.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
80cm x 80cm x 30cm is about 30x30x12high in inches. About 50 gallons of water. That is what you are talking about, correct?
To me the mix of
-polypterus senegalus (2x)
-polypterus delhezi (2x)
-climbing perch (1x)
- pao palembangensis /Dragon puffer (1x)
musk turtles (2x

would be way to many fish in quite a small tank. In my opinion the tank is too small even for just your 2 musk turtles. May be okay with the extra water volume of the sump, but I wouldn't be trying to keep multiple large fish in with them (or any fish to be honest)
Delhezi can get quite large, even senegalus make a good amt of waste. I think you will need to choose fish or turtles, and if you go fish, you will need at least a 75 gallon 48x18 for the fish you have.
my delhezi are quite small. Or atleast it will take many more years for him to grow too big. This is just for 2 years at most. Im not gone sell my 2meter tank but i cant be at my parents house each week to clean it. Im planning on stocking this tank full with mangrove wood and stones to create enough hiding places were the turtles cant go. And to reduce agression from the bichir to each other.
Im probably gone sell the pao or if possible take his own aquarium with me to my new house.

I also keep the old turtle tank if anything goes bad i can always remove them to their old house.

Im just gone try it out for now. If anything goes bad im 5 meters away ready to place them in another tank to bring them temporary back to my parents house.
After that i can always decide to sell them. But i would really prefer to keep some of my animals..

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
my delhezi are quite small. Or atleast it will take many more years for him to grow too big. This is just for 2 years at most. Im not gone sell my 2meter tank but i cant be at my parents house each week to clean it. Im planning on stocking this tank full with mangrove wood and stones to create enough hiding places were the turtles cant go. And to reduce agression from the bichir to each other.
Im probably gone sell the pao or if possible take his own aquarium with me to my new house.

I also keep the old turtle tank if anything goes bad i can always remove them to their old house.

Im just gone try it out for now. If anything goes bad im 5 meters away ready to place them in another tank to bring them temporary back to my parents house.
After that i can always decide to sell them. But i would really prefer to keep some of my animals..
How small? They can get over a foot long.
I am thinking the water volume may be just enough with the sump and with frequent water changes. Turtles are messy as hell, as I'm sure you know.
I just don't think the 30x30" space will be enough for two adult turtles, and to also share with fish which can grow a foot in length.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
How small? They can get over a foot long.
I am thinking the water volume may be just enough with the sump and with frequent water changes. Turtles are messy as hell, as I'm sure you know.
I just don't think the 30x30" space will be enough for two adult turtles, and to also share with fish which can grow a foot in length.
my delhezi is 2 years old in my care and 15 cm long. He was around 13 cm when i got him. So i dont think he's a fast grower.
The other delhezi i bought around half a year ago maybe longer he is 8cm and in a growout tank.

i know they are messy. I dont mind doing waterchances 3 or more times a week if neccasary. (if that even is okay for the fish)
I m gone downgrade from 13 tank to 2 or 3. So i got all the time to clean 1 tank more. i know it aint ideal. ?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
my delhezi is 2 years old in my care and 15 cm long. He was around 13 cm when i got him. So i dont think he's a fast grower.
The other delhezi i bought around half a year ago maybe longer he is 8cm and in a growout tank.

i know they are messy. I dont mind doing waterchances 3 or more times a week if neccasary. (if that even is okay for the fish)
I m gone downgrade from 13 tank to 2 or 3. So i got all the time to clean 1 tank more. i know it aint ideal. ?
I can definitely understand caring for your fish and having to get thru non-ideal situations to keep them. 3x week water changes is no problem for your fish as long as water is dechlorinated of course. If you are planning to build this tank yourself, I would just try to make it a little bigger in footprint if possible to avoid any aggression, as the animals would kind of be "right on top of each other". I would have another tank on hand incase you notice any aggression from the turtles

Reactions: neko1

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Without a valve to regulate the overflow the system will work but will be very loud!

With the value ( and an emergency drain) you can regulate the flow through the pipe to match the return pump.

I have always used a herbie overflow... its completely silent once the valve is set correctly.
Not if the return pump is too much for the overflow.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I can definitely understand caring for your fish and having to get thru non-ideal situations to keep them. 3x week water changes is no problem for your fish as long as water is dechlorinated of course. If you are planning to build this tank yourself, I would just try to make it a little bigger in footprint if possible to avoid any aggression, as the animals would kind of be "right on top of each other". I would have another tank on hand incase you notice any aggression from the turtles
yep gone do just that. the tank is already build so i cant make it any bigger sadly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store