15,000 Gallons of Fun - Stocking

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Why not stock some wide bar silver dollars in lieu of piranhas? They are similar-ish in color and shape. Also, they would make an awesome school of dithers. The only other fish I would consider in your list to be dithers are the Bala Sharks, but they are not from the Amazon.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Why not stock some wide bar silver dollars in lieu of piranhas? They are similar-ish in color and shape. Also, they would make an awesome school of dithers. The only other fish I would consider in your list to be dithers are the Bala Sharks, but they are not from the Amazon.
Yeah, the balas aren't amazon so they're out. Silver dollars are a nice idea I didn't think of, piranhas would be cooler but probably wouldn't work out too well.

I'm considering removing the arapaima, but it really is the centerpiece fish, so I'm not sure on that yet.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
How realistic is this tank? Do you have legit plans, i.e funds, space and long term ideas? Or is this a "when I move out and all my dreams come true and everything goes to plan" plan? I'm not flaming you, but alot can happen in your personal life and we see alot of these ideas on here that never come to fruition. I hope your one of the few that pulls it off. And if it's serious, then half your stock will be snacks for the rtc tsn and arapaima

Reactions: M@T!@$ and Thekid

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
How realistic is this tank? Do you have legit plans, i.e funds, space and long term ideas? Or is this a "when I move out and all my dreams come true and everything goes to plan" plan? I'm not flaming you, but alot can happen in your personal life and we see alot of these ideas on here that never come to fruition. I hope your one of the few that pulls it off. And if it's serious, then half your stock will be snacks for the rtc tsn and arapaima
Honestly right now, it's more of the "when I move out and all my dreams come true and everything goes to plan" plan. I'm in college right now, only 23, however it is likely that this tank can come to fruition - I am going to become an anesthesiologist, one of the highest paying jobs in America. So as of now - it's not set in stone, 100%; but it is very likely that one day it will be.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Honestly right now, it's more of the "when I move out and all my dreams come true and everything goes to plan" plan. I'm in college right now, only 23, however it is likely that this tank can come to fruition - I am going to become an anesthesiologist, one of the highest paying jobs in America. So as of now - it's not set in stone, 100%; but it is very likely that one day it will be.
So, factoring in school time, a huge school loan, and huge yearly malpractice insurance premiums, you're probably looking at a time frame of around 40 years of age when you can realistically have the time and finance to attempt this.

I'll check back to this thread in about 15 years

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Great to have big dreams. It's really fun keeping fish but not so fun they have health issues and don't know what to do. Big body of water require a lot of maintenance especially when you have to medicate.
Start with the biggest tank you can get today and start learning. You'll be ready down the road when the monster tank is built.
After so many years in the hobby, I'm still learning. MFK is a great place to learn and share.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Great to have big dreams. It's really fun keeping fish but not so fun they have health issues and don't know what to do. Big body of water require a lot of maintenance especially when you have to medicate.
Start with the biggest tank you can get today and start learning. You'll be ready down the road when the monster tank is built.
After so many years in the hobby, I'm still learning. MFK is a great place to learn and share.
Words of wisdom...........from one of the elites on MFK!

Reactions: Chub_by

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
WTF did I click on... Title does not match a word on this thread:(o_O

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store